Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking about an electric fuel pump and regulator, any experience?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about an electric fuel pump and regulator, any experience?

So I think we've all been there. Turning the key, pumping the gas, waiting and waiting for a good 30 seconds before the fuel travels the half mile from the tank to the engine, before FINALLY getting into the carb, then the fun with the carb until it's warm enough to be useful.

I'm thinking that an electric fuel pump might be the ticket for me (and finally getting a choke cable after all these years).

Does anybody have experience on one of these? Is there a generally accepted rule of thumb for brand and quality or install method?

Originally posted by Psychoholic View Post
    So I think we've all been there. Turning the key, pumping the gas, waiting and waiting for a good 30 seconds before the fuel travels the half mile from the tank to the engine, before FINALLY getting into the carb, then the fun with the carb until it's warm enough to be useful.

I'm thinking that an electric fuel pump might be the ticket for me (and finally getting a choke cable after all these years).

Does anybody have experience on one of these? Is there a generally accepted rule of thumb for brand and quality or install method?
    This is the one that I use predominately. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MRG-42S Mr. Gasket Micro Electronic Fuel Pumps 42S

I found that this one helps keep a low smooth idle without the possibility of carb overloading when idling for long periods. Overloading has been common on my older girls that need carb rebuilds but I'm to busy / lazy to do so. It also has the flow needed for some of us nut bugs that like hole shots and other high RPM fuel needs.

Not to mention, IT IS AFFORDABLE! lol

Comment

I generally run the most common inline pump I can get my hands on at the local parts house. So long as the output pressure isn't above 5 psi, I usually don't use a regulator either. I've built a few high rpm engines and those required 90-100 gallon per hour pumps which needed regulators but by and large, the cheap pumps are usually just fine.

Comment

Just remember that the cheaper fuel pumps are pushers, not pullers. Mount the pump as close to the gas tank, and below or level with the fuel supply line. Also, sucking air will kill a pump faster than a fat chick to a buffet line. Dont run the tank below 1/4

Comment

Originally posted by Neonwerkz View Post
          This is the one that I use predominately. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MRG-42S Mr. Gasket Micro Electronic Fuel Pumps 42S

I found that this one helps keep a low smooth idle without the possibility of carb overloading when idling for long periods. Overloading has been common on my older girls that need carb rebuilds but I'm to busy / lazy to do so. It also has the flow needed for some of us nut bugs that like hole shots and other high RPM fuel needs.

Not to mention, IT IS AFFORDABLE! lol
          Endorsement here....
          Took me 3 hours to get 6 miles due to vapor lock going to Hearsecon last year.
          Installed the Mr. gasket pump in the parking lot of O'Reilley parts store. Left mechanical pump inline, used no regulator and continued the trip in 101 degree temps without another stall. Still working great today.

Comment

What happened to cause the vapor lock issue?

Comment

I have run them, but don't skimp on the regulator.
              Any good pump will push past the needle and seat when a regulator is not present.

Nothing like an engine fire to ruin your day !

Comment

I got a good regulator and gauge. I'm going to be putting in an order for all the remaining parts I need to complete this leg of the project in the next day or so.

Comment

I've used the Mr. Gasket electric one. I've also had good luck with a generic AutoZone brand inline pump. What kind of carb are you running?edelbrocks like less fuel pressure and Qjets like a little more.

I was able to set up remote start on my 72 because of the electric fuel pump.

Comment

My only compliant with converting older cars to electric pumps is how loud they can be. They make rubber isolator mounts to try to cut down on the noise for in-line pumps, but you're still going to get a lot of high pitched whine with a lot of aftermarket electric pumps. Only way I know of to make electric pumps on an older car silent is to use a modern electric pump installed inside the fuel tank. My flatmate's b-body has an in-line pump, IIRC its a holley brand, and inside the car at idle the sound of the pump whining is actually louder than the exhaust, which isn't that quiet to begin with:

Comment

I totally agree with Sgath92. I have the Carter marine pump with rubber mounts located on the frame below the pass. seat I have dual cherry bombs, and the pump is well heard over the exhaust.

Comment

You think the Summit pump is going to be very loud back by the tank?

Comment

Depends on which one you get and how you mount it. A 100gph pump will make plenty of noise. That would also be complete overkill for a hearse. Which Summit pump are you going with? I didn't see in the thread where you had made a decision, I apologize if I missed that detail.

edit - nevermind, I read the threads from bottom to top and realized you had posted a link in the project thread

That pump will make plenty of racket but you can quiet it a good bit to where you don't hear it over typical road and engine noise. When you mount it, mount it to the frame and put a 1/4" - 1/2" thick piece of rubber between the mounting bracket flanges and the frame rail. You'll likely not be able to use the bolts they include with the pump. You'll also want to make sure you have several inches of flexible fuel line connecting to the in and out ports so that very little vibration is transmitted to the hard lines.
                          Last edited by Dickey; 03-01-2013, 10:00 PM.

Comment

I have a total of about 27 feet of braided line (with shitloads of fittings), so I can use extra if I need it.

That thing would have to make a serious racket for me to be able to hear it over the exhaust

[youtube]JrH4pUOm8-E[/youtube]

Comment

I would stick with the factory pump. Does the car sit a lot? The carb should hold enough fuel to start it right away then the pump will catch up.

Comment

Working...
                              X