Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1997 cadillac 6 door funeral car needs front bearing hubs

1997 cadillac 6 door funeral car needs front bearing hubs

OK. the stock H/D hubs for the limo/hearse are $600 per side (cheapest I've seen).
    The 4x4 chevy 1500 truck hubs look identical, should have similar weight ratings
    and are less than $100 per side. Any one thought of doing this? Are the shaft splines the same?

Doubt anyone using this forum has similarly dealt with anything front wheel drive that new.

If you're soliciting opinions, buy the hubs off a low mileage wrecked/burned like hearse/limo. Stay correct, stop overthinking, save some money, and cease making a mountain out of a molehill.

Cadillac Heaven is one possible solution although not the cheapest route. Little research will turn up more donors. Newbs adding their location isn't a shabby idea either.

Comment

hmmn...

nope... not soliciting opinions.

Comment

Originally posted by ddechow View Post
        1997 cadillac 6 door funeral car needs front bearing hubs

OK. the stock H/D hubs for the limo/hearse are $600 per side (cheapest I've seen).
        The 4x4 chevy 1500 truck hubs look identical, should have similar weight ratings
        and are less than $100 per side. Any one thought of doing this? Are the shaft splines the same?
        Chevy 1500 hubs will have a slightly narrower bearing race seat. = FAIL

nope... not soliciting opinions.
        The point in posting as you did with the not 1 but 2 questions = Solicitation of opinions.

Atti is very correct in stating the suggestion of buying a used set for less than being a uber tight ass and opting out for parts that are inevitable to fail if not fit to begin with. If you own a hearse, get used to spending some $$ if want to keep it going and SAFE. If anyone on this site is about the safe operation and or repair of coaches it would be me. No matter how old or new, these cars are hefty killing machines if you don't fix your drivetrain components the right way.

Finally, it may help you to post a little something as an intro about yourself. That way we know what you have (if anything) so that the site members can be a little more helpful. That way you will be met a little less stern over the lack of intellect that has presented in this thread.

Comment

The point in posting as you did with the not 1 but 2 questions = Solicitation of opinions.

Atti is very correct in stating the suggestion of buying a used set for less than being a uber tight ass and opting out for parts that are inevitable to fail if not fit to begin with. If you own a hearse, get used to spending some $$ if want to keep it going and SAFE. If anyone on this site is about the safe operation and or repair of coaches it would be me. No matter how old or new, these cars are hefty killing machines if you don't fix your drivetrain components the right way.

Finally, it may help you to post a little something as an intro about yourself. That way we know what you have (if anything) so that the site members can be a little more helpful. That way you will be met a little less stern over the lack of intellect that has presented in this thread.
          Well actually I don't see it that way, I was soliciting experience.

Correct, I asked 2 questions:

1st: Anyone thought of doing this? to which one could answer yes or no, or even I've tried it and it doesn't work.

2nd: Will the shaft splines match? to which again a yes or no would work fine.

I mean no disrespect, that said I have never understood the notion of doing follow up posts that don't offer and
          real direction/information for the original topic.

Of course I had thought of getting used hubs, I even done it once before. But being that hubs are one of the most frequent failure points(and also one of the most expensive) on these cars
          I thought maybe we could think a bit outside the box.

You say that the bearing races are narrower? So you have compared them visually or do you have some bearing measurements?
          I am somewhat surprised to hear that the 4x4 bearing would be narrower given the off road application and and almost identical
          vehicle weight.

It should also be noted that this is the third hub I have done on this car(did 2 new rear and 1 used right front - which is now failing again) - the H/D Caddy hubs from these years are just a bad design
          front and back.

So I am hoping to find something stronger and safer. Maybe it doesn't exist. This much I know: You haven't lived till you have had a hub lock up in the middle of heavy traffic.

Comment

(snip) that said I have never understood the notion of doing follow up posts that don't offer and
            All of the above was offered. Not being the answer you were looking for does not negate as such. Do not assume others know what you have/have not tried nor how many times you've had the same issue. Perhaps you missed this important precursor:

Originally posted by Atti View Post
            Doubt anyone using this forum has similarly dealt with anything front wheel drive that new.
            You may be better off asking on the PCS site. And if you do, I suggest laying off all the first person references. The use of "I" 13 times in one post points to a narcissistic personality disorder. You've not introduced yourself, users here are not familiar with you, and on the NHAA attitude begets attitude. Best-o-luck in your endeavor.

Comment

Well actually I don't see it that way, I was soliciting experience.

Correct, I asked 2 questions:

1st: Anyone thought of doing this? to which one could answer yes or no, or even I've tried it and it doesn't work.

2nd: Will the shaft splines match? to which again a yes or no would work fine.
              #1 Yes, this has been thought over time and time and time again. Yes they look close, maybe even fit. However the end result is no where rated for the intended application. Thus you risk the car, you and everyone on the highway. I HAVE TRIED BEFORE. TRUCK PARTS ARE STILL LIGHTER DUTY.

#2 NO, may be close on the splines but a no sale. Ask about the bearing races, this I know, we tried bearing from a chevy pick up and they are thinner. Equals a thinner bearing race on the pickup versus the Cadillac. 4X4 pickup front ends are engineered for 1/2 power duty cycle versus the Cadillac 100% power duty cycle.

I mean no disrespect, that said I have never understood the notion of doing follow up posts that don't offer and
              It's not a disrespect, it is simply not working with the ethics / formality of a forum. Reading older posts give people a heads up of who they are dealing with. This will get a negative response every time, especially if you are not known here.

Of course I had thought of getting used hubs, I even done it once before. But being that hubs are one of the most frequent failure points(and also one of the most expensive) on these cars
              I thought maybe we could think a bit outside the box.

You say that the bearing races are narrower? So you have compared them visually or do you have some bearing measurements?
              I am somewhat surprised to hear that the 4x4 bearing would be narrower given the off road application and and almost identical
              vehicle weight.
              Believe me, I think outside the box all the time. I have owned over 30+ commercial chassis cars in 16 years plus a large current fleet (collection) of them now. I restore & maintain all of the myself so I always want a better way that lasts longer. Again, power to wheel duty cycles are a major factor, not equal weights.

It should also be noted that this is the third hub I have done on this car(did 2 new rear and 1 used right front - which is now failing again) - the H/D Caddy hubs from these years are just a bad design
              front and back.

So I am hoping to find something stronger and safer. Maybe it doesn't exist. This much I know: You haven't lived till you have had a hub lock up in the middle of heavy traffic.
              Bad design = Bad design You are stuck with it. I have lost wheels, steering, brakes and spring packs going down the road over the years. It is always inherent in these cars that you have demons. I have put many parts on, rebuilt many sections of these cars just to have another headache show up later. Some things you can make stronger but many you can't. Replace the whole spindle bearings and hub. Maybe you make it longer till the next lock up. I work on a 95 commercial chassis on regular basis and have not had the first problem with a front hub.

Lastly, this is not a forum like others. Us pro-car people have a different mindset than 90% other forums on the net. We try to keep things as if we are sitting in a lot with our coaches face to face. We speak literal on need help topics and witty on most other topics. I as well as many others here can read and have very good working knowledge of solicitation, opinions and experience do not differ at all unless you have worked for GM in Detroit.

I really don't like being questioned down to the nuts and bolts by people I don't know. If you had checked my signature or even looked at my profile you should have had the hint "This guy may know what he is talking about".

How about posting a intro? That would be a great start for you on this site.

Comment

school is now in session.

Comment

Originally posted by ryan_ricks View Post
                  sage advice. i've never tried to stir up drama, but i'll try to do better about not inflaming it.
                  In case you forgot Ryan.

Comment

my, my... i must have forgotten my manners.

Comment

Working...
                    X