Not (normally) procar related

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not (normally) procar related

Chevy/GMC uses leaf springs on the front of their 4x4 pickups with solid axles, pre-ifs (around 1988).....EXCEPT some crew cabs
    A friend bought a 68 Superior with 4x4 running gear. The seller said he used Chevy crew cab parts to do it. The front end has coil springs and trailing arms. I called a few salvage yards (who had no 4x4 crew cabs) and was told ALL pre '88 4x4s were leaf spring.
    I have no idea what year the parts were made, but front coil suspension does exist.

Anyone know or seen a factory chevy with this setup?

See if you can get some pics.

Comment

IMG_20130714_133139_087.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Jus" Roach View Post
        Chevy/GMC uses leaf springs on the front of their 4x4 pickups with solid axles, pre-ifs (around 1988).....EXCEPT some crew cabs
        A friend bought a 68 Superior with 4x4 running gear. The seller said he used Chevy crew cab parts to do it. The front end has coil springs and trailing arms. I called a few salvage yards (who had no 4x4 crew cabs) and was told ALL pre '88 4x4s were leaf spring.
        I have no idea what year the parts were made, but front coil suspension does exist.

Anyone know or seen a factory chevy with this setup?
        Check 68-72 Chevy crew cab, 3/4 and 1 ton 4X4. The picture depicts an '"old" GM 4X4 system. Lucky thing is that gen of chevy 4X4 parts are kinda cheap.

However, the setup from the looks of it has some Ford parts in the mix. I will do some checking..

4wd Front.jpg
        Last edited by Honey_Badger; 07-19-2013, 12:36 PM.

Comment

From the looks of things it is a 76-79 F 150 or Bronco front suspension with a Dana 44. Chevy is looking to be a distant thought now. lol dana44_solidf150.jpgEB_suspension.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Neonwerkz View Post
            Chevy is looking to be a distant thought now. lol
            Would not surprise me. He missed on year and make of body too, not to mention "losing" the title in the three day it took to go get the vehicle.

Comment

Working...
            X