driveshaft issues need assistance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• driveshaft issues need assistance

I have an 83 superior making a roller coaster style noise most noticeable at low speeds; I hopped underneath and found some play in the ujoint area just behind the carrier bearing and at first I figured that replacing the ujoints will solve my issue. Out of curiosity before I started digging in I found videos online of broncos and s10s making a noise very similar and pointing out the problem is actually in the double cardan? I'd like to get some advice from people that actually know about these cars before I just start doing the shotgun method. If the double cardan is the issue, where can I find one? I'm having issues finding the one that fits what I have underneath. I have a deadline to get this car done but do not have the funding to pay a shop to deal with it . https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...33849068697924 Here is a video of my noise and the youtube video is one of the videos I found that has the similar noise http://youtu.be/97EeSyJbLf0556638_10200784361440299_806074719_n.jpg558411_10200784360960287_861577080_n.jpg

That double joint can be a monster to contend with. I have tried to rebuild them myself but failed.
    Most drive lines I have sent out to be rebuilt usually come back around $200-300
    If you have ever had one break on you, that couple of hundred bucks is well worth the money.

Comment

I rebuild mine myself, when I hybrided my driveline in my car while doing the rear end swap. I learned something new that day (after many hours of swear words). The caps on mine were held in with injected plastic as well as the normal clips. I'm not sure if yours are the same in '83 as my '65, but here's a hint if they are: Heat the caps up with a propane torch and the plastic will come squirting out of the little hole in the yoke. Then they will come right out like normal. If you don't, they will not come out no matter how big of a hammer you have laying around, lol.

Comment

Working...
      X