Shit for power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shit for power

So I have the new engine for Alexi, but there are several small problems and I think they are all carb related. The guy "rebuilt" the carb as part of our deal on the car, but I am thinking he rushed it and did a shitty job.

One problem is that whenever I hit a hill it just starts going slower and slower and doesn't shift correctly to get more power. It acts almost exactly like when you say take a corner in a stick shift but put it into third or fourth when you really should be in second gear, if that makes sense.

I also noticed that downshifting around 35-45 doesn't yield any power increase at all in acceloration.

Any suggestions?

I may just go buy an Edlebrock tomorrow and fuck the stock carb. On that note, what type of aftermarket Edlebrock would be best? Looking over my options here, especially between electronic and regular chokes...

Is something up with the transmission? Sounds like your kickdown isn't working.

If you're going to go with an Edelbrock, and you have the 472 I just went through this. The performer series is great. I'd suggest something in the low 600s for CFM (600, 650). I had a 750, and it ran way too rich with the idle mix screws all the way in.

Comment

Are you running a Quadra-jet?

I recommend Edelbrock as well, but my new engine has throttle body fuel injection on a 500 cid. It's an option, more expensive but less sensitive to elevation & repair/rebuild.

Comment

Originally posted by spastic_chicken View Post
        Is something up with the transmission? Sounds like your kickdown isn't working.

If you're going to go with an Edelbrock, and you have the 472 I just went through this. The performer series is great. I'd suggest something in the low 600s for CFM (600, 650). I had a 750, and it ran way too rich with the idle mix screws all the way in.
        How do I check the kickdown? Are you talking about the vacuum line from the carb down to that module on the side of the tranny?

Comment

In addition to a vacuum line from the base of the carb to the modulator on the back of the trans, there is also a small cable that hooks on near the same pivot point that the gas pedal linkage connects to the carb. The cable comes out of the trans near where the dipstick mounts at the base of the trans on the passenger side.
          As far as carbs, its better to be a little on the smaller side than too big on a big cubic inch but low rpm engine. I also agree with a 600cfm. Brand is personal taste and your ability to tune it. Call me or Kaptin if you need help.

Comment

The correct answer was...

Mouse shit in the exhaust.

Mouse shit was the answer we were looking for. But we do have some lovely parting gifts for all of you, including a six pack of Rice-a-roni, the San Fransisco treat!

Cut off the exhaust behind the Y pipe and the fucker runs great. Should have figured, there was so much mouse crap all over the rest of the car like nesting and shit.

Thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate all the input!

Thanks Alex and Amber for your suggestion!

Comment

Damn, I always use a banana or potato, now I need to find some rats!

Comment

I thought condoms full of chicken liver was the standard.lol. What movie was that from again?

Comment

just a quick note on the kick down of the trans........if it's a TH400 the kick down is electrical...some models have the switch on the carb and some have it on the throttle pedal...if it's on the carb and you put on an Edlebrock be sure to remount it .....the fruit in the tailpipe gag is from Beverly Hills Cop

Comment

Working...
                  X