No announcement yet.

R12 substitutes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have thought about going that route as well, just not sure.
    My car had NO ac from the factory, so either way it will be some work.

Comment

Question, is it possible to change the compressor clutch without dumping the refridgerant? The compressor clutch on the s-10 is going out. And I would hate to lose perfectly good R-12. and the clutch would be cheaper than a compressor.

Comment

yes it is possible on most of them. you just need to get the tool that holds the clutch while you take the retainer hardware off. i tried it once long ago without the tool and marred the fuck out of the clutch plate and the pulley.

Comment

Originally posted by Morella View Post
          I'll go with big invertors and custom duct work with AC units under the mound. Each battery on my coach advertises to run a 9000 btu unit, uninterrupted for over an hour, with the engine shut off. That's just a little extra bonus.

-denise
          So far my electric a/c has not been a complete success. Most of the 110v units I have tried have an ambient temp sensor. So when the car gets too hot inside, the compressor will not turn on. I am looking in to fabbing up an R12 system with the compressor being driven by an electric motor mounted under the car. I share the same goal to have a/c with the engine off.

Comment

Question, is it possible to change the compressor clutch without dumping the refridgerant? The compressor clutch on the s-10 is going out. And I would hate to lose perfectly good R-12. and the clutch would be cheaper than a compressor.
            Yes it can be done, and I have the tools....but it is usually a real mother fucker of a job, even with the tools.

Comment

So far my electric a/c has not been a complete success. Most of the 110v units I have tried have an ambient temp sensor. So when the car gets too hot inside, the compressor will not turn on. I am looking in to fabbing up an R12 system with the compressor being driven by an electric motor mounted under the car. I share the same goal to have a/c with the engine off.
              I am installing fans that blow from behind the seat into the mound, to remove battery fumes and heat from the UPS, and pull in clean cabin air like a vent. They will exhaust down and out, just over the top of the rear axle. That might help, although it may be weeks before I get to find out.

-denise

Comment

Pics?

Comment

so we got my AC working *better,* but then apparently the compressor clutch decided it was overworked and went out.

Comment

Hearses are like that...

Zac's publication (found at the Denver Hearse site) tells it all about hearse ownership. I know (like Ryan here in this thread) because several of these bitches own me too!!!
                    Attached Files

Comment

I'll show some pics when I get this project done. I'm a little slow, with the back injury. In fact, this was the camping shit for Colorado, to show you how far behind I am. I'm using a lo/hi switch for the fans with 10 ohm ceramic resistors, with a switch next to it that can turn on either the overlight lights or a different set. It also uses the Cadillac door switches to turn on the bier compartment lights when a door is opened (because I can buy them anywhere), and if you open a door with the fans or lights on, an alarm goes off as a reminder.

I also installed a dual diode to charge the aux battery instead of just the bus tie relay that I had before, but I left the relay in too. I built a little panel with voltmeters side by side for main and aux buses, and there is still the bus tie switch between them, in case your main voltage gets low and you want to stop charging the aux battery until your main battery comes up.

The whole thing worked when I strung it out on the floor, so hopefully it will work as well in the car.

-Denise (Big Oil)

Comment

Working...
                      X