today's technical frustrations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• today's technical frustrations

Since it was a nice day, i decided to do some work on the coach.

i wanted to buy another little socket set to keep in the coach, so i wouldn't have to switch them between vehicles. i bought a stanley set, then went to change my oil. low and behold, it did not come with 15 or 16 millimeter sockets. the oil drain plug happens to be 15 millimeter. i think my other set is missing a 19 millimeter. what do i have to do to get all the sizes?! i mean really, wtf is with this slack-ass toolkit not having all the sizes, especially a size i need!

in other news, i was looking around at the underside of my coach while waiting for the oil to drain. i saw this cross member thingy in the frame, it was bent in such a way to let the exhaust pipe pass under it without sticking out (if that makes sense). so if i ever go to dual exhaust, will i have to get a custom fabricated cross member thingy, or can i just route the exhaust pipes under it?

no, i didn't think to take a picture

It's the crossmember for the transmission, and it should have the same bow in it on the other side wether it has dual exaust or not. Casey's 84 has them on both sides. Asw a matter of fact i think just about every rear wheel drive car i have ever been under has had them on both sides. exept the very few where there is actually a hole through the cross member itself to let the exaust go straight through it. The frame on the 59 is set up with the holes, not the bows.

oh yeah. the only other problem you might have is where the floor( under the table in the back section) drops down under the car. It will look like two rectangular boxes right passed where your partion is. those things don'y leave much room, you will have to run the pipes damn near right up next to them to keep from hitting the driveshaft.

Comment

yeah i'm pretty sure they bow was only on one side

Comment

Most, that I've seen have the bow on both sides but usually the passenger side is more pronounced for a cat.
        But an option, run both pipes down the one side & cross the pipe over to the other side after the tranny, around the axle area.

Comment

Sidepipes....lol....or just dump right out of the headers...just to let the locals know that you are coming.

Comment

i have duals on my 73 comming out just infront of the rear tires.

Comment

I built my own transmission crossmember.

Comment

Originally posted by BIGEVIL View Post
                I built my own transmission crossmember.

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t...e/DSC03071.jpg
                yeah i remember seeing that. it's pretty cool

Comment

What a great looking garage...and a nice piece of fabrication if i might say so.

Comment

What a great looking garage...and a nice piece of fabrication if i might say so
                    Thanks bro.

Comment

Working...
                    X