Replacing my Power Brake Booster & Master Cylinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing my Power Brake Booster & Master Cylinder

Eh, figured I'd through my own update on what we're working on in here. So, Ken's pulling the whole piece out today. We were going to go to a car & tattoo show on Sunday, but we noticed the brakes were going mushy. I ordered a new Power booster w/ the master cylinder over at Auto zone. I will say that I really like their website. Anywho, when I get home, we'll be popping the new one in and I'll be working with him to bleed the brakes.

This was one of the only parts that looked it's age. The only other thing we noticed is that after I had cleaned up the engine a bit, there's a small leak near the covers. I'm going to clean it up again and see if it comes back. Might need a new seal, but not sure from where yet.

If you have a 76 with Hydroboost, talk to me about it before you put it back together. There are some issues; for instance, the drain pan drains any leakage into your steering column boot and rots it, so you have to attach a scupper hose, and there is a frangible plastic part that you have to fabricate. If it's a vacuum booster, there should be nothing to it.

-denise

Comment

It wasn't too bad, it was a 2 person job. The Brake Power Booster with the master cylinder went in fine. Ken then would bleed the lines while I pumped the brake. On the 80 it was fairly easy. Right now he's having the Carb looked at. The choke isn't fully closing right and that may need to be replaced.

Comment

Originally posted by Morella View Post
        If you have a 76 with Hydroboost, talk to me about it before you put it back together. There are some issues; for instance, the drain pan drains any leakage into your steering column boot and rots it, so you have to attach a scupper hose, and there is a frangible plastic part that you have to fabricate. If it's a vacuum booster, there should be nothing to it.

-denise
        76s are soo much fun!

Comment

A new choke coil might solve your problem. They should be changed once in a while anyway. Or sometimes there is no voltage to open the coil, and a shadetree mechanic will compensate by loosening up the choke.

-denise

Comment

Ken had looked with the mechanic while it was running and when he turned it on and off. Looks like the choke is sticking. We're going to start it tomorrow morning while it's cold and note where the choke is opening to. It may need to be worked on, but for now it's running o.k.

On a side note, I'm looking into doing a tune up. The air filter needs to be changed out and I was pricing out for the various parts (spark plugs, cables, filters, etc).

Comment

damn looking at this i relize that i know jack shit about cars o.o

Comment

Originally posted by raven_fiachra View Post
                good luck with hearse ownership

Comment

ya i figure itll be a learning opportunity and im gonna sign up for an auto repair caurse in college or something

Comment

Originally posted by raven_fiachra View Post
                    Don't sweat it - I recommend that if you can cover the basic maintenance and have a good mechanic on hand, you should be good. It's a good idea to have a manual of your year/make/model (for any car). You can order them from Amazon.com.

The reason I try to understand more about mechanics is if/when I need to go to a mechanic, we both know we're talking the same lingo. I want to be sure I have someone who knows what they're doing and that I understand what they're saying. It's harder to hoodwink someone that way.

Also - for a good free online manual, check out Autozone.com I really do like their site. You can save your vehicles online and then if you should need a part, there's a link that will bring it right up for your car.

Comment

Working...
                    X