Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

time to rip off the vinyl top- how to remove it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a friend had line-X done for about $550.00 i think. he did the body work himself.

Comment

Shit, that was one of those things that I knew I wanted to pay someone else to do.

Roof.jpg

Comment

So If I peel this back carefully enough, I can fix the bad area and re-use the vinyl top? Or am I fucked and have to get something else? I have a trouble area above the passengers side roof, and I really need to re-do a leaky windshield seal.

Comment

I can imagine it's posible. Depending on the condition of the vinyl. We ripped the vinyl top off of my old 74 M&M in a waffle house parking lot. Made it a quick club project.lol. and it ripped like old paper.
          As far as the windsheild leak, if it isn't too severe, pop the trim off of it, and take the screws out of the inside trim on it and remove that, then pump it full of black silicone sealant. That is unless it has been leaking severely, or for an extended amount of time, then you may want to just redo the whole thing and take the windsheild out of it completely. You'll have rust issues in BAD places. Mac had a 66 that had rust in the window channels and the roof, when the crane went to pick it up for the crusher, the roof tore off of it like a can of sardines and sent the rest of the body crashing down onto their trailer, and fucked up the trailer.lol.

Comment

yeah my windshield leaks too

Comment

I think richard fixed scott and marcias (remember them) windshield. It was rusted pretty bad around the opening at the top. But it was fixable.

Comment

i have the body manual for my car, so i'm assuming it would tell me how to take the window trim off and all that kind of thing

Comment

Originally posted by StrayCat View Post
                  I can imagine it's posible. Depending on the condition of the vinyl. We ripped the vinyl top off of my old 74 M&M in a waffle house parking lot. Made it a quick club project.lol. and it ripped like old paper.
                  As far as the windsheild leak, if it isn't too severe, pop the trim off of it, and take the screws out of the inside trim on it and remove that, then pump it full of black silicone sealant. That is unless it has been leaking severely, or for an extended amount of time, then you may want to just redo the whole thing and take the windsheild out of it completely. You'll have rust issues in BAD places. Mac had a 66 that had rust in the window channels and the roof, when the crane went to pick it up for the crusher, the roof tore off of it like a can of sardines and sent the rest of the body crashing down onto their trailer, and fucked up the trailer.lol.

the reason that the roof ripped was because i cut the window piller on the driver's side to remove a spotlight.

Comment

dave has marcia's hearse

Comment

Devilman, did you end up getting line-xed? How much you pay? I'm lookin at doin the whole car.

Comment

Working...
                      X