Dual Exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual Exhaust

My car has dual exhaust that was not done right. The muffler guy said there is no room for it with the big gas tank, it is bent all crazy under there and of course does not sound right, it even has the fuel lines on top of the exhaust, pretty scary! when i hit a bump it sounded like i was hitting the bottom, it was the axle hitting the exhaust which has a hole in it now.
    He said i needed a smaller tank, how do i go about putting dual exhaust on right. the muffler guy here said he could not bend the pipes proper for it..

i have mine turned out before the rear tires on my 73.

Comment

Dual Exhaust

Mine stick out the back.
      You can put dual pipes on one side (passenger) based on gas tank location. But it doesn't look the greatest.

On mine, I had to move the gas tank to fit a 2 1/4 inch pipe on both sides. I centered the tank since on most Cadillac's, the tank is closer to the driverside frame rail than the passenger side.

My pipes run parallel to the frame over the axle, then under the frame & out the back.
      Attached Files

Comment

Ok, I have a solution.
        As some of you guys know, I am on my 3rd hearse creation. My 1st one had air ride suspension and could lay the frame on the ground (unfortunately it was wrecked to no fault of my own 4 years ago). Not only was the gas tank hard to get around, but now I had airbags to deal with. The answer was easy. Run the exhast pipes UNDER the axle. Do not try to make the tall bends over the top. The pipes were almost perfectly straight from about the rear of the rear doors all the way back. They ran right between the tank and each shock.
        I hope that helps.
        Check out my 1st 1970. It is not "photo shopped". I just "aired it up" to normal height when I wanted to drive it.

Comment

Originally posted by BIGEVIL View Post
          Check out my 1st 1970. It is not "photo shopped". I just "aired it up" to normal height when I wanted to drive it.
          http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t...rse/Img202.jpg
          I love that car

Comment

yeah, my transmission cross member only has a bend on one side, so if i go custom exhaust, i'll have that to deal with

Comment

I really belive the muffler guy didn't want to work on it. it seems too low to put exhaust under the axle. It does have the smoothest ride.I LOVE IT! I even asked him to put it back factory and he said he couldn't. i think he is full of shit! there is no way the exhaust would fit under the axle on mine, it would give me maybe a 4" clearance if i did, i live in the country it would not hold up to the bumps. the owners manual says it has a 27-1/2 gallon tank a big one, what is that a 80.00 fill up?

and they did make those bends on the exhaust now, and has the fuel line's way to close to exhaust the smaller fuel line was laying on it! we bended it up some, but that scares the hell out of me.

i also have a whine in it somewhere, sounds like the rear end. all the fluids are checked and full. it was 1 quart low on oil and the oil was so clean so is the tranny oil, rear main seal is leaking i noticed and so is the thing at end of drive shaft(can't think of the name) needs new head gaskets to.

Comment

On my 70, the exhaust pipes did not hand down any lower than the frame when I went under the axle. The whole goal was to be able to lay the frame on the ground. Thats as low as it gets baby!

Comment

on my 88 they cross over the axel and next to the frame w/ a slash cut behind the bumper to keep from bottoming out and crushing the tips. you can't even see the end of the pipes, they are concealed behind the rear bumper.

Comment

I think you need to find a new muffler shop.

Comment

Yea, A new muffler shop it is, my husband called to see what the problem was and he said i was morbid for driving a hearse. i don't care what he thinks but i asked him up front if he had a problem with the hearse and he said no, he wasted my time and his and that pisses me off! Now a trip to Little rock 40 miles away for another muffler shop. the other shop here just burned a car, don't want to risk that.

Comment

damn! good luck with the new shop.

Comment

Yea, A new muffler shop it is, my husband called to see what the problem was and he said i was morbid for driving a hearse
                          What a Jackass

Comment

my husband called to see what the problem was and he said i was morbid for driving a hearse
                            I would have taken that as a compliment, and said thank you.

Comment

You don't think he said that to me! he said it to my husband. You kinda have to pity the poor chap he looked pretty stupid then his nametag on shirt said "Mopar" .need i say more.

Comment

Working...
                              X