Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The strangest electrical gremlin I've ever chased...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The strangest electrical gremlin I've ever chased...

(I posted this on the PCS message board as well, so I apologize in advance for those of you who have read this already.)

Driving home at around 8pm the other day in my '73 Miller Meteor, I slid the climate control lever from "vent" to "auto" and suddenly found myself staring at a darkened dashboard. In addition to my dash lights no longer working, I found (after getting home) that my taillights and side marker lights weren't working either. It gets weirder, though. As soon as the instrument panel lights went off, the lights in the footwell came on, and only go off when I kill the headlights. My radio still works (but the dial doesn't light up), as do my directionals, headlights, horn, and windshield wipers. But I have no brake or reverse lights. And the strangest one of all is that when I hit the hazard flasher switch, the lights in the footwell blink (but nothing outside the car does).

I've replaced a good many fuses (none of which appeared to be blown), to no avail. I'm wondering if anyone here can offer any helpful advice, because I'm baffled. Thanks!

grounds

check all your grounds but it sounds like a short as well over the years some wacked stuff gets done under the dash and when things move things short .... and if the car has sat up for a bit rats and the like can and like to munch on wires ... ... time to play trace the wires its a fun game that takes lots of time and alot of the joy out of old cars

later ill post a great sight on ways to help older charging systems so come on back now ya hear....
    Last edited by northgahearse; 10-11-2007, 09:40 PM.

Comment

Well.....umm....darn.....you could.......ah hell!

Ok, the initial problem started when you slid the a/c contol. Now select lights work ok, some don't, and others are now interconnected.
      The a/c is mostly vacuum, but I am not sure about the vent. 1st things first. Take off as many dash panels as you can to increase visability. If the vent lever operates a cable, start at the slider and follow it carefully to the evap case. I am suspecting a power wire has the insulation rubbed off and is touching ground because of the movement of this cable. If that is a vacuum function, the damaged wire could only be near the a/c panel or in the moving sections of the evap case. Because the headlight switch is near the a/c panel (at least on my 1970), my gut tells me the damaged wire will be near there. Just because the wire is exposed and touching ground, it may not blow a fuse since it is now powering some interior lights, but not its original feed.
      OK Denise, now its your turn.

Comment

Oh and by the way, welcome to our sick and twisted little group!

Comment

Originally posted by northgahearse View Post
          grounds
          It could not be said better than right there...

By the way, WELCOME!

Comment

Thanks to everyone who offered help. As many of you suspected, it was indeed a bad ground, this time in the climate control system. So far, everything seems to be back to normal, but with a 35 year old car, you never truly know.

Oh, and thank you for the warm welcome. I'm glad to be able to add my own sick and twisted distinctiveness to that of an already sick and twisted bunch!

Comment

i've had a charging light problem for about 3 years now, it could be a ground. the generator light on my 73 stays on even though the battery, starter and alternator are good. lol gotta love old cars!

Comment

Originally posted by mdeanr View Post
                i've had a charging light problem for about 3 years now, it could be a ground. the generator light on my 73 stays on even though the battery, starter and alternator are good. lol gotta love old cars!
                So im not the only one with a generator light on.

Comment

nope, mine has been on since daytona. no one that has looked at it can figure out why.

Comment

Working...
                  X