Front turn signal not working but parking light is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front turn signal not working but parking light is

on my 1985 lincoln town car hearse my front parking light would come on but not the turn signal but the rear signal would work. I thought it might be the bulb so I put in a new one & its doing the same thing. Any one have any sugjestions for me ?

Well, you gots a few things here......

1. One of the terminals inside the bulb socket isn't making contact. Most of those are dual fillament bulbs and have 2 little lead posts on the bottom.
    2. Wiring wiring wiring. Check yo grounds.
    3 Bad contact in the column switch. ( on just about ANY 80's domestic cars they are easy as pie, and are relatively cheap. Take you like 15 minutes to do.

But I would start with No.1. If the lens leaks at all, or collects moisture, those things don't take long to corrode a little, and just a little corrosion is all it takes.

Comment

would a bad terminal make the parking light of the bulb work but not the turn signal part ? I'll have to check it out better in the morning. If any thing I may be able to get a new socket at the auto parts store near me, Thanks.

Comment

like i said, most of the time the parking light/trun signal bulbs are dual fillament. but each fillament has it's own contact in the socket itself. one of them could just not be making contack. take yourself a test light and pull the bulb. turn your lights on, but not the turn signal. then go out to the socket and put the tip of your test light on one of the inside contacts in the socket,( but don't let the metal bridge to the socket housing, or sparks will fly). when your test light lights up, then you founf the running/ cornering light lead, so you know the other one is obviously your turn signal lead. turn your lights off and turn on the turn signal, and do the same test. if your test light doesn't flash, then disconnect your battery( just to be safe) and run a small file, or a flat head screwdriver over the contacts in the socket, just enough to clean them up and make them shiny. then test it again. if still nothing, it's either number 2 or three on my prior list. Let me know if you need anything else.

Comment

Thanks so much for the info I'll give it a tryI'll have to go buy another test light because I gave mine to my son when he was working on his car he had it so long I told him just to keep it. But I'll get one an do what you sugjested & let you know how things go. Thanks again Tombstone

Comment

Hello straycat I did what you told me to do with the light socket & that was my problem oneside worked & the other didn't so I got a new socket to put on. Thanks for the advice,

Comment

make sure you are getting power to the wire first. If there is no power in the wire leading to the socket, the new socket will do you no good to fix the problem.

Comment

Do you mean to the wire thats going to the inside of the socket metal piece thats not working ?

Comment

Yes. the wire that goes into the back of the socket out of your wiring harness. there should be two or three wires.

Comment

Electric Problems

Ok thanks. Now I have a bigger problem I was coming home from a haunted house with our hearse club when my radio went out then I noticed my dash light's getting dim I turned on my dome light & it was really dim also I lost all turn signals I tryed my wipers & they didn't work. My head lights started getting dim I called the person following me on my cell phone an asked them if my tail lights where working & they said no they had me put on my brakes an those light's where really dim. Well I made it home ok I shut it off & went to try to start it an nothing, Could this problem be my alternator or maybe a bad battery ? I'm just glad it held enough juice to keep my fuel pump working. I keep telling everyone I think my hearse is possessed every time I get it running good it lasts for awhile then it starts acting up all over again sooner or later I'll have everything replaced on it the way thing's are going. The thing is I'm about out of extra spending money for it. I'm just glad mast of our shows are over for the year & I'll have all winter to work on it.

Comment

Working...
                    X