Electrical Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical Problem

I have a big problem I was coming home from a haunted house with our hearse club when my radio went out then I noticed my dash light's getting dim I turned on my dome light & it was really dim also I lost all turn signals I tryed my wipers & they didn't work. My head lights started getting dim I called the person following me on my cell phone an asked them if my tail lights where working & they said no they had me put on my brakes an those light's where really dim. Well I made it home ok I shut it off & went to try to start it an nothing, Could this problem be my alternator or maybe a bad battery ? I'm just glad it held enough juice to keep my fuel pump working. I keep telling everyone I think my hearse is possessed every time I get it running good it lasts for awhile then it starts acting up all over again sooner or later I'll have everything replaced on it the way thing's are going. The thing is I'm about out of extra spending money for it. I'm just glad mast of our shows are over for the year & I'll have all winter to work on it.

That same scenario just happened in my truck, it turned out to be the starter, my starter grounded out. New starter & good as new.

Comment

Thanks for the tip.

Comment

Well it could be anything in the starting/charging system. But 98% of the time ,based on the scenario you gave us. Have that alternator checked out. Your car shouldn't have died if it were something in the battery ect. All the battery really does is start the car and act as reserve power. It's the alternator that realle runs everything.

Comment

Thanks I'll get it checked out

Comment

Hey Straycat I got my car running again I took the altrantor of & had it checked out & it turned out to be ok they tested it 3 times & it turned out ok I couldn't belive it. So I thought what about the voltage regulator so I bought a new one it was only $11.00 & change took it home charged the battery & it started right up, my plug to it wasn 't in the best shape so I had a friend of my that works at a junk yard cut me off a car that I've been getting prats from now I need to put it on. Thanks again for your help. Now I'm on the road again & happy!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Same thing recently happened to my son's '66 stang. He complained about the lights dim as well as the other things in your message. It too turned out to be a loose connection at the voltage regulator. We have it quick fixed with a couple of zip ties to keep it connected until we locate a replacement connection.

Comment

Thanks, it did turn out to be my plug also.............

Comment

Working...
                X