Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1959 Caddy Hearse Questions.

Aloha everyone,

I have some 59 Caddy Hearse questions that I have not been able to find the answer too. I am hoping someone here can help.

1) Can a big block Chevy engine like a 502 with a matching transmission be easily installed in a 59 Caddy Hearse? If not what is a good motor/tranny swap for a 59?

2) Are the windshield, brakes, front end, window regulators, suspension etc. the same as a regular 1959 Cadillac? Where do you go for these parts?

3) Is there a 59 Hearse specific web board?

I really appreciate any help. Its been so hard to find answers to these questions.
    Mahalo,
    Alex

1) Define easily? I would rebuild the 390, but that is just me.

2) No. Kanter carries alot of those parts.

3) I haven't seen one.

Comment

502 swap eh? ............. you would probably have to fabricate custom motor mounts, exhaust, and new trans crossmember ......... the 500cid cad would probably be an easier swap and there is a decent aftermarket for these engines ....... I'm pretty sure it's basically the same block design as the '63 390 which I think has basically the same chassis as the '59 ............ that being said I haven't tried the swap personally but might be doing something very similar next summer in my '62

Comment

Originally posted by Riff Raff View Post
        1) Define easily? I would rebuild the 390, but that is just me.

2) No. Kanter carries alot of those parts.

3) I haven't seen one.
        Thanks for the reply. I have now learned that the windshield is very difficult to get and is not the same as a regular 59 but there must be other parts on the car that were used in a regular 59 caddy.

The brakes, front suspension, rear differential etc.?

I will check out Kanter. I am just trying to educate myself as much as possible before purchasing anything.

On a scale of 1-10, 1 being a Tucker and 10 being a VW Bug how would you rate the parts availabiltity of a 59 cadillac hearse?

Thanks again,
        Alex

Comment

59 Cadillac hearse parts I would rate a 2 or 3. I would venture that there were 2000 or so 59 comm. chassis built in 1959. when you start spliting those up between manufacters, the numbers drop to 500 for each. Then minus out the limos and ambulances built. Then sub-divide the rest among the different models and specific parts become very rare. Just ask 58Eureka59, he is looking for a back corner glass for a 60 Superior. No one makes these so a used one will have to be found. Removing old glass it really tricky.
          Some of the comm. chassis parts will interchange from limos, ambulances and hearses, so those maybe easier to find. The drivetrain maybe similar, but the brakes, ball joints and springs are all comm. chassis parts. But even the fenders on a 59 comm. chassis are different from a regular 59 Caddy. And the manu. used parts from different yaers as "carryovers" I have seen 62s with 59 parts installed from the factory, mainly interior though.

Comment

Thats interesting information.

I had no idea getting parts for a 59 hearse/ambulance was that difficult.

So things like bushings have to be custom made I would imagine?

Assuming you had a 59 in good cosmetic shape (nothing really missing or needing anything cosmetically) Where do you buy the high wear items like brakes, bushings, ball joints, window regulators etc.? Does Kanter sell all these items?

When I search Kanter for 59 Cadillac brakes they only list the fronts, the website says they do not have rear wheel cylinders for the commercial Cadillac chasis. This sounds problematic.

Is there a cross-over list from other cars? Can you buy any of these kind of parts at your local auto parts store?

Getting the engines, transmission and differntial rebuilt doesn't look like its much of a problem.

What would you rate the car (1-10) for just finding "wear" parts like I described, i.e. parts needed to keep the car driving down the road, not cosmetic parts.
            Last edited by mauibarber; 12-06-2007, 11:08 PM.

Comment

As you have already found, some parts are easy to find and some are going to be difficult to find.

Your best bet for finding parts suppliers would be to search or post the question on the PCS forums. Most of those guys are pretty cool, some are stuffy. But they have vast amounts of knowledge and are willings to share it as long as you're not being an ass.

Comment

Can a big block Chevy engine like a 502 with a matching transmission be easily installed in a 59 Caddy Hearse? If not what is a good motor/tranny swap for a 59?
                If the 59 has a front sump engine (like my 70) a big block chevy is very though to hang. With my chevy small block, they make a front sump oil pan kit. That made life easier. I had to fab up some engine mounts, new transmission crossmember, and custom built headers. The engine went in and out 6 times before it all fit right. On a 1-10 that project was an 8 on difficulty.

Comment

So do you have a 59?

Comment

No a newer big block engine will not fit. that is why you never see it done. Neither the 472 nor the 500 caddy engine will fit. It has been tried many times. The lower front crossmember that goes underneath the motor sits up too high in the engine compartment, so even if you managed to squeeze one in there, the motor would sit up way too high to even begin to think about closing the hood, and the whole drivetrain assembly would be at such an angle, that you could hook a airplane propeller to the engine and it would probably lift the front end off of the ground., or you could do away with the oil pump and find a oil pan that is about 1 1/2 inches deep and pray that your engine uses some sort of pagan lubrication god to keep the motor from blowing itself to peices.

Trust me. I though about doing it to my 59. Needless to say the original 390 is still in it, and will be in it untill the end of time.

Comment

Originally posted by StrayCat View Post
                      pray that your engine uses some sort of pagan lubrication god
                      perhaps praying to said lubrication god would be more effective

thanks for the info .............. hmmmmmmmmmmm does anyone make a dry sump system with a remote reservior for the big cads?

Comment

So as far as the rear end goes, since you can't find brake parts for the rear do people generally change out the rear end as well?

I read somebody had a 59 hearse and changed it out to a 61 caddy rear end. I assume this is because of no brake/rearend parts?

-Alex

Comment

the parts are still available. Well, i know they are for the 1960 comm chassis. the only part i know you cant get is the huge nut that holds the rear brake drum on, but i also found out that the nut off a intermediate shaft on a caterpillar bulldozer is the EXACT same nut used on the 59...? comm chassis cars. How i found that out is a whole other story...lol.

Comment

OK there is too much shit to read and I am to lazy to try. I stopped reading at Chevy motor in Cadillac. It will fit but I will fly to where ever you are and personally kick the shit out of you if you put a bow tie in a 59 Caddy. 472's and 500's are to plentiful, cheap, powerful, and fuel effiecient to even think about a bowtie. Fuck the boat anchor and buy a 500. I have had to many of both to know the better engine and keep the Cadillac a Cadillac. Put the 390 on ebay if you don't want it and buy a 500 otherwise rebuild the 390 and tell everyone else to kiss your ass and listen to me.

Comment

I will fly to where ever you are and personally kick the shit out of you if you put a bow tie in
                              Easy there big boy!

Comment

Working...
                              X