425, 472, 500...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 425, 472, 500...

SO, can ya get any power out of the 425 for decent money or would it be cheaper to go with a 472 or 500? The 425 runs beautifully.

read this grasshopper

Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

if it runs good let it be for now

Comment

You can put heads from the smaller motor on for a little extra kick, but it's NOT reliable.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it bro.

Comment

Here is another great source of info.

Comment

i'll be the first to admit that i don't know much about cars, but it seems like a 425 should be plenty powerful on it's own. that's a huge engine, even compared to like a 350, which seems pretty common.

i'd love to have a bigger engine in my coach, but right now gas mileage is more important to me than horsepower, even though miss abigail is severely underpowered

Comment

i'd love to have a bigger engine in my coach, but right now gas mileage is more important to me than horsepower, even though miss abigail is severely underpowered

On of the BEST ways to increase gas milage AND horsepower is to upgrade the exhaust system. Larger diameter pipe and a free flowing muffler can add up to 15 horsepower and 2 mpg. Dual exhaust is great, but not necessary. My car has 2.25" from each header then meets in to a single 3" pipe that goes all the way back. It sounds mean too!

Comment

Originally posted by ryan_ricks View Post
              it seems like a 425 should be plenty powerful on it's own. that's a huge engine, even compared to like a 350, which seems pretty common.

Yeah, they came with 180 horsepower. I figured maybe a cam, aftermarket carb, and full exhaust might help, but I am new to the caddy stuff, so I'm not sure.

Originally posted by BIGEVIL View Post
              On of the BEST ways to increase gas milage AND horsepower is to upgrade the exhaust system. Larger diameter pipe and a free flowing muffler can add up to 15 horsepower and 2 mpg. Dual exhaust is great, but not necessary. My car has 2.25" from each header then meets in to a single 3" pipe that goes all the way back. It sounds mean too!
              I got the headers and dual exhaust on Erzabet (Chevy 305) last week, and it made a great difference in power and fuel economy.

Comment

i will have to look into that. i'm afraid the 4.1 would sound silly, though.

Comment

Mine has dual 2.25" pipe straight back with a cross over in between the cats & high flow mufflers. My power & mileage did go up, but that was after I was done playing with it.

Comment

Originally posted by ryan_ricks View Post
                    i will have to look into that. i'm afraid the 4.1 would sound silly, though.
                    4.1's and newer were/are designed to run with back pressure.

Comment

Working...
                    X