Going to the shop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to the shop

Finally got my tax return in and my baby is going to be pampered. This is the list of replacements.
    1: Iridium 4 Spark Plugs
    2: 8mm Plug Wires
    3: Starter
    4: Rear Air Struts
    5: Fuel Filter
    6: Pads & Shoes
    7: Rotors & Drums
    8: Brake Lines
    9: Distributor Cap and Rotor
    Everything is original 1990 parts so this should wake her up quite nicely.
    Last edited by jlprigmore; 02-15-2008, 07:21 AM.

Git er done. I just got my fuel fill hose done. (an hour ago) Tires about a month ago. Window motor, a couple of weeks ago. Still needs a tune up and oil change. Gettin ready for summer time fun.

Comment

Just an FYI,
      Some people have noticed a decrease in performance when using iridium or platinum plugs in cars that did not originally come with them. I'm not saying it will happen to you, but if the performance is not what you expected, it would be something to look at.

Comment

thanks, i will definetely keep that in mind, damn wish i would have posted that earlier before i spent 10 bucks a plug. Hopefully i'm one of the lucky ones that does see an improvement.

Comment

Just an FYI,
          Some people have noticed a decrease in performance when using iridium or platinum plugs in cars that did not originally come with them. I'm not saying it will happen to you, but if the performance is not what you expected, it would be something to look at.
          I just pulled mine out of my Lumina. I could tell it needed a tune up, but one day it started running so bad, I thought it had dropped 2 cylinders. Had it scanned, multiple misfires on all cylinders. My mech. told me those plugs were no good for my car, switched them out. Plus cleaned the MAS and a new fuel filter, now she is running great.

Comment

well i guess wish me luck on the plugs than, it goes in first thing monday morning,having a friend take it up there. I'm out of town and i can't get another set ordered in time. So hopefully everything goes well.

Comment

well after almost two weeks of problems trying to get the car to the shop I finally called a tow truck and had them get the car and take it in, its finally getting worked on as of today. And thanks to the wonderful extra rusting that New York has to offer, no offense to New Yorkers Flyman, it also needs new wheel cylinders and all new fuel line. The list continues to grow on repairs. Was hoping for around a $500 install bill to add to the already $1200 I have invested in all the parts I already purchased but now I'm thinking closer to $800 or $1000. But hopefully she'll roll out running and driving and stopping perfectly. Definetely getting an older one for my next one so I can actually work on it myself instead having a shop do all the work.

Comment

Ok, before I actually do this I need some opinions. Right now the car is getting a bunch of things fixed and I had gotten advice on my spark plugs, realizing the potential problem I wish I would have posted before I bought them. So this time I want some feedback before I buy the parts. Please feel free to let me know if its a good idea or am I just a dumbass for wanting to do it. When I get home I'm taking the car in for an oil change and a transmission fluid change, both are in dire need of being done. Now thanks to me traveling I end up in some questionable towns and not always is the a lube place around so I'm considering running Royal Purple for both the motor and transmission so its not nearly as important to make my exact 3000 mile oil change every time if I need to I can go a few extra miles until i get to a good reputable place to get it done or get home to do it myself. Now any thoughts on if this is overkill or a decent idea?

Comment

Hey Bro,
                  Royal purple is popular amoung racers because even though it has a specific viscosity rating it is not quite as thick and seems to have a 2-3 hp gain. It is not going to help in the longevity dept. I run Mobil1 synthetic in the engine and Dexron plus a good additive for the transmission. Those are going to last the longest.
                  As far as extending the life of the fluids, keeping the heat down is the key. A big oversize transmission cooler and an additional engine oil cooler is the BEST way to protect those fluids thus protecting the engine and trans. My trans cooler is 3 nearly feet long! Its the silver finned thing under the 2 electric cooling fans.

cooler.jpg

Comment

Been considering a trans cooler, thanks for the advice. I usually run castrol syntec but I didn't know if there was a good trans fluid to run to try and help keep it in perfect working order.

Comment

the main thing is to run a trans cooler.

Comment

The car is officially finished and back home. 6 full days days , a cutting torch, and $1250 bucks later the mechanic finished the car. And my wife took it for a drive and says it drives perfectly so I'm pretty excited to get home and pick it up.

Comment

Originally posted by jlprigmore View Post
                          And thanks to the wonderful extra rusting that New York has to offer, no offense to New Yorkers Flyman, it also needs new wheel cylinders and all new fuel line.
                          None taken. Actually, the rust has saved me a lot of money - instead of calling to have my old cars haulled away, I just sweep 'em up and put them in the trash -

Agree with Bigevil - basically any good oil will go a bit beyond the scheduled change and shouldn't be a problem. I run old factory stuff (no rebuilt motors) and use Valvoline Max-life... still looks & feels pretty good at regular change time - my Astro has 261,000 miles and still runs great..... even though the body has 30% rusted away (Damn, almost time to get out the dust pan again)

Still in the area? - call me

Comment

Sorry Flyman, didn't have any time off the three weeks I was there. Now I'm in a podunk town next to scranton,pa for a week and than I'm headed to canton,new york for a month than headed home to pick back up the hearse to terrorize the highways once again.

Comment

Where at in Scranton? I'm driving up and stopping in Plymouth PA next Friday, and then heading to Syracuse/Oneida for the weekend.

If you get a chance, swing by the Simmons Institute in Syracuse for a small tour or the school. They have some really nice antique funeral stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X