Hail Damage... I has it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hail Damage... I has it.

So abigail took some hail damage in the storm this weekend. There are quite a few dents on the hood. They're all very small and shallow, but you can still see them.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to fix this? i'm hoping to avoid sanding, bondo, and repainting the entire hood if possible.

Also, it cracked up the vinyl top pretty good. i know there is this vinyl patch stuff you can get. how is it to work with? difficult? easy? where is the best place to get it?

do you have full coverage on the hearse? if so you can most likely call in a claim.

Comment

no full coverage, unfortunately

Comment

Ive heard of people putting the car in the hot sun to get the metal real hot and placing dry ice on the divit. The temp change is supposed to pop out it out. Sounds far fetched...but may be worth a try....
        Last edited by randyaz; 03-30-2008, 02:23 PM.

Comment

you know i just saw that mentioned in a couple of places online - hairdryer and dry ice. also household plungers.

I may try my hand at these two. Anyone ever done this before?

Comment

be careful trying to heat up the car yourself, you could ruin the paint.

Comment

think a hair dryer would be hot enough to mess up the paint?

Comment

Depends on the hair dryer. I have never heard of a "Heat and Cool' method of dent removal. Another option is one of those "Paintless Dent Removal" companies. Might not be cheap if you have alot of dents though. Alot of cars can be totaled by hail damage because fixing alot of little dents add up quick.

Comment

I have also heard of the "hot n cold" method. I am sorry to say I don't know much about it though.
                  Here at work we have a outside vendor company called "Dent busters". They are a paintless dent removal service. I think they are a chain. I have seen them do some amazing things. Might take a look in the phone book in your area.

Comment

stay tuned for the results on dry ice dent removal...

Comment

ok so i've iced the ever-loving hell out of these dents and they don't seem to go away. i tried heating first, then i tried just with cold. i figure with heating up, the ice actually has to work harder to make the metal contract.

i'm not ready to call this method busted, but so far i haven't gotten it to work.

next up - hair dryer and air duster method

Comment

Usually cars are totalled. Aircraft keep on flying, with diminished value. Hail damage sucks shit. If it's cracked your top, it's probably too hard to fix too, but you could consult an upholstery shop.

-denise

Comment

so i got an estimate from one of those paintless dent removal guys. they want $600, compared with $1800 from the body shop.

Anyone have experience with the paintless dent guys?

Comment

Anyone have experience with the paintless dent guys?
                            "The sword is only as mighty as the hand that wields it"

Comment

Working...
                            X