Awakening the 68

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Awakening the 68

I tried to start the 68 Pontiac today with no luck. It seems like it is not getting any fire. I switched coils, cleaned the points, cap, & rotor, hot wired the coil and used Quick Start and still she refused to start. It has been awhile since I have had to work on a points system so I may be missing something. Any ideas???

are you getting anything from the coil? On the plug that goes from the coil to the dist, unplug it at the center of the dist, set it against something steel while you have someone bump the ignition to see if you have spark. New points and condensor are cheap, but i've seen cars started up on some REALLY fucked up points.

When you tried using quick start, did it try to fire up at all?

Comment

I don't know anything about older pontiacs but does it have a ballast resistor on the firewall? I know my older dodges and my marlin I had both had ballast resistors that went bad and wouldn't let the car start.

Comment

I attached a spark plug to the coil wire and grounded it and got no spark that I could see.

Not sure if it has a Ballast rest. The battery cables and wires are routed different from any car I have worked on. It has a Ford style solinoid and the wire from the back of the alt. runs to a tan block then out to the coil. I jumped it from the solinoid to the coil and got the same thing.

Even with Quick start it has never even tried to fire.

This sucks because we have a car show next Sat. and if I can't get it running I will have to bow out.

Comment

If you arent getting the plug to spark, you've got a bad coil, or something leading up to it. If you have a multimeter or a test light, try checking that.

Comment

Tan block? Looks like its ceramic? Sounds like a ballast resistor. Definetely check that with a tester like spastic is sayin. Most likely thats probably your problem.

Comment

Good news and bad....

I don't have a test light so I used a jumper wire across the ceramic block.. nothing.

Jumped it from the Alt to the output side of the block, which runs directly to the coil... nothing.

Jumped it from the big termial of the Alt.... nothing.

Jumped it from the Pos Battery terminal.... nothing, nothing BANG!!!!!
              Apparently, the gas I had used to prime the carb made it's way to the exhaust system where it ignited and blew the muffler to schrapnel. I don't mean blew out a seam, I mean opened it up like someone stuffed a M-80 in a Pepsi can. It sounded like Tmothy McVeigh had parked my hearse in the backyard. But my nieghbors must be used to me by now, not a one poked thier head out to see what the noise was. Probably figured it was just me .. AGAIN.

Needless to say, I will not be making the car show tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
              X