New Baby Starting To Show Her Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Baby Starting To Show Her Problems

Where to start. Transmission started slipping when I put her in reverse today. Steering column loose at the telescopic part. Turn signal cancel cam broken. Starter starting to go. Power steering leaking. Outside mirror adjusters don't work. The one on the dash fell inside the dash. And of course the typical rust bubbles here and there. Well, at least the rebuilt 368 only has about 10,000 miles on it. Looks like I got my fun cut out for me.

Oif - well, older car (I understand) Anywho - here's a link to Autozone for the '80:

I love, love, love this one site simply for the reason that it's a free online manual and I can order most of the parts I need.

Transmission, I'm not familiar w/ and I'd go to a shop.

Steering wheel - looks like you may need a puller and perhaps a lock ring compressor. I've read some reports of the bolts coming loose on the early '80's. Mine's been fine so far.

Power steering pump - nice how to on autozone and a link to parts:

Outside mirror - yep, I had a similar situation with my passenger side. I looked into this site: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/
    link to one member's response:

"With the plate removed from the dash, you will see a small set screw for an allen wrench to secure the cable end to the bezel. Rotate the cable clockwise to put tension on it then secure it with the wrench. Before putting it back in the dash, make sure the knob when pushed down brings the mirror down not up!! you can put the cable in 90 degrees wrong. You should see a flat area on the end that aligns with the dash bezel."

Yeah, know what you mean bout some of the problems. Because of an exhaust issue I disconnected the power to my a/c (kept pulling in the exhaust fumes due to the leak). Fun times :P

Comment

Thank You. I've got both hearses listed in my garage at Autozone. Just started checking Cadillac Forums and Cadillac Owners Group. Both very helpful.

Comment

i went and got the GM dealership shop manual for mine. you can find them on ebay. it's seriously worth the effort to track down. it's as thick as a phone book, and has about all the information you could want. very detailed

Comment

Originally posted by ryan_ricks View Post
          i went and got the GM dealership shop manual for mine. you can find them on ebay. it's seriously worth the effort to track down. it's as thick as a phone book, and has about all the information you could want. very detailed
          I saw them on ebay. Didn't know they went into a lot of detail. Haynes manuals for Cadillac kinda sux. Just the basics. I think I will invest in a dealer shop manual. Hoping to still make Monsterbash. Just broke a tooth also. Hope my funds hold up.

Comment

You can easily fix the telescoping wheel. Just pull off the horn pad, loosen the three screws and adjust the ring.

Comment

Scratch my last message. I didn't realize that the whole thing was loose. You might do better to buy a used column to get your parts, and a new turn signal cam ass'y.

Power steering leaks are almost always the pressure hose, but could be the lower unit. Clean it really well with some brake parts cleaner, and it will be easier to find where the fluid is coming out.

-denise

Comment

Thanks. I think the power steering is leaking around the cap. Maybe a new cap. I still have not messed with the steering column. Got a few ideas from Cadillac forums. Only driving around the neighborhood until I get tags for her. I did get all the lights working, found corrosion in some of the 194 bulb sockets. Now that my mechanic is back from camping, I'll get her on the lift and check a few more things. (exhaust leak, etc. and so on)

Comment

I'm willing to be the exhaust leak is from a crack in the passenger side exh. manifold, probably between the last to pipes. Caddy's are notorious from cracking right there. My '82 had almost the exact same problems when I got her. My tranny is fried right now and in the process of trying to fix that. BUt when I got her, the power steering was leaking from around a hose, Had to replace the whole pump.
                  Well I hope things turn for the better for ya, and you are able to make it out to MonsterBash.

Comment

Well I hope things turn for the better for ya, and you are able to make it out to MonsterBash.

I'm still gonna try to make it. I'll bring the 91, she is half fiberglass, better MPG. And runs a hell of a lot better, just not as pretty. My wife won't be making the trip. (woo hoo) Her Dad has to have surgery a few days before. And she has jury duty all that week.

Comment

hopefully it will workout for you ED.

Comment

Hey Ed, If I can't get my hearse in shape to make the trip, wanna hearsepool? Would save us both money on gas, and we could talk about the hotel room(s) too if you want. I do planning on bringing my 15yr old son, but he won't be any trouble, we can tie him down in the back.

Comment

It would be great to see you again Jody

Comment

Originally posted by Riff Raff View Post
                            Hey Ed, If I can't get my hearse in shape to make the trip, wanna hearsepool? Would save us both money on gas, and we could talk about the hotel room(s) too if you want. I do planning on bringing my 15yr old son, but he won't be any trouble, we can tie him down in the back.
                            Gotta work 4pm-4am thurs. and fri. nite. maybe sat. won't make RHPS. (damn it) Call me this weekend and we'll discuss the Bash trip.

Comment

Originally posted by HearseHaunter View Post
                              I'm willing to be the exhaust leak is from a crack in the passenger side exh. manifold, probably between the last to pipes. Caddy's are notorious from cracking right there. My '82 had almost the exact same problems when I got her. My tranny is fried right now and in the process of trying to fix that. BUt when I got her, the power steering was leaking from around a hose, Had to replace the whole pump.
                              Hmmm, I didn't think to look in that area (not that I cheerish laying on asphault.) I will give that a try - thanks for the heads up.

Comment

Working...
                              X