No announcement yet.

Well, the time has come....(need parts)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, the time has come....(need parts)

...to park Erzabet til I can afford the new engine. I was trying to run that 305 til I could afford the 383, but now it (the 305) needs more money than it's worth to me. I've had the loud ass exhaust leak due to the broken header bolts in the passenger rear (which hasn't been that big of a problem, just annoying), then today she just started sputtering up 85. Apparently, I need a bunch of little things, and that MIGHT help. I'd rather just get a nice mild 383 with a modest carb, and deal with that.

As for now, I might get Griselda (78 MM) legal and fix a couple things on her. I gotta get rear shocks and the inspection plate. I think that's what it's called. I know I can see the flywheel when I'm under there. Where would I go for something like that? Junkyard? Anyone got 1 fer sale?

let me check with dad. if it's the same as 472 and 500 i may have one.

Comment

and the inspection plate. I think that's what it's called. I know I can see the flywheel when I'm under there.
      Flywheel cover is the nomenclature. Many people leave them off, but that does expose a rotating buzz saw under there when your engine is running. It just makes it easy to drain the convertor and remove the engine on some models.

-denise

Comment

Also, if you have the engine out and you're skilled with tools, you can remove exhaust bolts that are broken off "butt flush". You drill them as close as you can without damaging the threads, usually the next drill size down, or a wire or metric size, then use a greased bottoming tap to remove the pieces. It does take skill, though. You need to center punch them and drill exactly down the middle. The tools are harder than the casting, and the casting is harder then the bolt.

If stainless bolts were used, you might want to get another used head, or maybe a machine shop could do something with it.

-denise

Comment

Flywheel cover-gotcha. Now I know what to ask for. Thanks

Comment

Working...
          X