Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

87 chevy eureka electrical problems...or something..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 87 chevy eureka electrical problems...or something..

howdy i just bought a my hearse a week or so ago...i have a slight issue, im kinda new at this so go easy on me..

when i start the car and run it a while after i turn it off, it like chugs it still half ass runs without the key..lol it like knocks and chugs and such...kinda disturbing, im sure the ignition is messed up with that, but then the cigerette lighter plug doesnt work, so i maybe thought they would be related somehow...i could be wrong tho.

its not really an issue with the chugging part..it only does it after the first time you turn it off i usually have to hold the gas petal down to flood the damn thing to death...i hate it but... any idea what the problem could be?

i believe they call that "Dieseling." Someone will correct me if i'm wrong - but i understand the problem is carbon deposits in your cylinders that are hot, and keep igniting remaining gasoline vapors even after you turn the engine off.

Comment

ahh ok i did notice some black smoke coming out of the muffler....so that would make since...i doubt shields did the "92 point inspection" they claim to do lol...

Comment

btw, here's the wiki link

Comment

Mine did that too (1988 Chevy). It did it when I ran 87 or 89 fuel, but never when I run the 20 bux a gallon stuff (93). Now it doesn't matter since I'm puttin the 383 in.

Comment

it can be alot of things check the timing

take it out and open it up a few times and blow alot of crap out of it

but till you find out what it is try turning it off in drive to kill it

and the cig lighter im sure has nothing to do with it

Comment

Originally posted by northgahearse View Post

and the cig lighter im sure has nothing to do with it
              I forgot to add that part

Comment

Yea, mine did it before I had the carb redone. As Ryan says, it's called dieseling. Now this could be happening to you and if you have a carb, it may need the timing checked. If you're not too mechanically inclined, I would recommend having a shop that is familiar with carbs work on this for you.
                Last edited by nmacarthur; 05-07-2008, 02:19 PM.

Comment

thanks for the help yall

Comment

You should be able to get this straightened out but when all else fails just shut it off while still in gear and she will die with no problem.

Comment

is that lonnies old hearse??

Comment

Originally posted by laidbackryder View Post
                        is that lonnies old hearse??

no, different car.

Comment

Just lower your fucking idle speed and be done with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Morella View Post
                            Just lower your fucking idle speed and be done with it.
                            wow thanks!

Comment

I'm sorry for being short with ya. I get into a weird mood from my meds sometimes, and it's such an easy fix that I guess I got a little annoyed at reading through all of that. I've never seen a dieseling problem that wasn't caused by too high an idle speed, because the screw was turned in too far, linkage sticking, or a choke problem.

-denise

Comment

Working...
                              X