Chevy folks??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chevy folks??

I'm getting a 383 finally. I'm not clear on a few things. I keep seeing 1pc or 2pc rear seal, and 2- or 4-bolt main. I'm not sure what I have or how this will affect my engine choice. Any help? (1988 Chevy caprice 305)

Thanks!!

2 - 4 bolt mains refer to how many bolts hold the caps on the bottom of the engine to keep the crankshaft in place. 2 bolt mains are fine for engines up to 300 hp and aren't used for racing.
    A 1 pcs rear main seal is preferred because they are less likely to leak. No big worry if its not.

Comment

Thanks BIGEVIL. So if I have a 2 bolt now and I buy a 4 bolt, will it still work?

Comment

Yes, everything bolts on the same. They may charge you a little more for the "core charge" because everyone wants a 4 bolt.

Comment

No core charge, I'm gettin it from some dude. Thanks a million bro!

Comment

Also with the rear main.....depending on the car sometimes a 2 piece is easier to change. You really just have to drop the oil pan to do it. But a one piece (which is much less likely to leak) is a bit more of a bitch to do.

Comment

Is that where you use what's called the "Chinese seal puller"?

I know that the Target engines, at least for trucks, were 4-bolt main because the 2-bolt main ones were falling apart.

Comment

Working...
              X