Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have a problem passing emissions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have a problem passing emissions?

Hi, I am new here, and just bought my first hearse. I live in Jefferson County, Colorado. I went to get the emissions tested on the old girl, and everything passed except it had too high CO levels. Like, way too high! They allow 30..and she ran 89. It is a 1984 Cadillac. It has an electric controlled 4 B carb. My mechanic told me today that he cant really lean it out anymore or it will not run (I live at 8000' elevation). There is even a sticker under the hood that says something about this 1984 car is exempt from high altitute emissions tests. Has ANYONE out there delt with this problem? To apply for a emissions excempt form, they want $700+!!!! I am on the verge on having to get rid of my new baby!!! Can anyone help, or give advise?

Emissions, whats that?

No in all honesty, im not sure about others on this board but most of us are exempt from emissions because of the age of our cars or we live where they don't have emissions.....i'm sure someone will chime in with some help though.

Comment

Ask Zachary at the Denver Hearse Association. He lives in those high elevations. I'm at zero elevation with no emmisions and no inspections and loving it.

Comment

Unfortunately, I know some one who had the same issue on the same year Caddy, they had to sell it because the cost to replace the carb was out of his budget.

As suggestions; I run de-natured alcohol in mine to help pass emissions, about 2 quarts per 20-25 gallons. This will reduce your mileage, or at least on mine it does, but the extra power is nice.
        My truck had a similar issue, I had to plug the vacuum advance on the distributor, not sure if that is applicable to your car.

Comment

I would pay $700 to exempt a car from emissions. If you include the $600 that I paid for the analyzer that I use now, and all of the fees that I have paid on my cars, it easily comes out to $700 or more per car.

-denise

Comment

Living in Australia, I dont know anything about this topic. BUT I would love to hear about the differences for car registration over there and what the passing emissions is all about. We will have to put the 64 we just got over the pits for inspection before it will be registered to drive on the road legally. Meantime we can drive her around by getting "permits" at a cost of $13 for 48 hours....designed to allow you to get work done prior to registration.
            To register over here we have to change the way the tail lights work, and basically just have everything operating and no dodgy modifications.

Comment

I had an 82' and it had an emissions system in it that was pulled out for performance by a former owner. Perfect place for a second battery though In this state no one really cares so I've always wondered myself.

Comment

Some of the best trick I use to get through emmissions are ...
                Use premium high octane gas just before the test
                104 octane booster in less than 1/2 tank of gas.
                A gasoline additive called 44K by BG products (found at many new car dealership parts depts)
                91% rubbing alcohol in the gas tank
                Take the air filter out (just for the emmission test)
                A fresh PCV valve

Comment

My friend Jay used to mix acetone with his gas regularly as he said it burned cleaner.

Comment

Wouldn't acetone disolve all rubber parts?

Comment

No, I've used acetone in mine, never affected the rubber hoses. I read an article somewhere that 1 quart of acetone per tank (20+ gallons) will decrease emissions, increase power & economy.
                      I haven't tried it, I use mothballs for that.

Comment

Working...
                      X