back fireing help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• back fireing help

ok so i finally got the car running, a lot more problems to go but most of them i can Handel, except this back firing issue, at first i thought it might be the gas and it could still be that but i figure yall would know best, whats happing is as i siad the muffler is back fireing, but only on the right side of the car, and when it does it feels like it is spiting water into my hand, anyone got a clue what might be wrong?

Only on one side indicates an ignition problem. Try replacing cap, rotor, wires, and plugs 1st.
    If you think the fuel is bad, then it probably is. A fresh tank of gas will keep you from chasing your tail.

Comment

I'll buy that, and add a couple of things. Inspect your exhaust on that side, as a leak in the exhaust system can backfire when you get off of it.

You start with the easy stuff, then, pull your plugs out and smell them. A strong smell of gas means that it's not firing, so replace your plug and wire, or maybe all of them if you have a big budget. Failing that, do a compression test on that side. If you have a real low one, put in a squirt of oil and try it again. If it doesn't come up, pull your valve cover and hit the valve tops with a plastic hammer. You might dislodge a kumquat or something stuck under a valve. Failing all of this, all I can think of is lean mixture, but that should affect both sides. Check your cap and rotor, and your wire routing so that you don't get crossfire between cylinders.

Comment

You could also do a system coolant leakdown test, but I save that stuff for last, because I can't pull engines now, and I would cry if I had an internal engine leak. If you feel water when the engine has been running less than 20-30 minutes, that might be normal. The backfire's echo might just be blowing out your condensation from the muffler.

Comment

Working...
        X