New carb question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New carb question

Can I buy a different brand carb (Q-jet currently) without having to modify linkage and/or change the intake for my 69 472cuin? Basically is there a direct bolt on replacement?

You can get an Edelbrock but have to buy a $20 plate to go from spreadbore to squarebore or vice versa....as far as linkage I believe they bolt right up.

Comment

Edelbrock makes a Q-jet that should bolt right up. It is a Edelbrock but it is still a Q-jet.

Comment

The #1906 Q-jet was discontinued, I believe, and was a little overpriced to begin with, but was a licensed Quadrajet copy for a 454 Chevy, and you may still be able to find one. Try Jeg's and Summit first. I had to cut the bottom part of the throttle linkage off to clear my intake on a Cad 500, but aside from that, it was a bolt-on. You can also change shafts, but you have to know what you're doing. A spacer might even be an option, but watch your hood clearance. Use the clay dowels. Either way, you're going to void the warranty on this carb if you put it on a Cadillac. Be thee ware that it uses the newer length rods, if you're into carb tuning, but you don't have to do that. You can (could) get tapered, and not stepped rods, and that's a plus if you don't have EGR, but I'm talking advanced stuff that you don't have to do. I'm just throwing out information.

The Edelbrock Performer is a square bore, like most Edelbrocks, and unless you have an open intake (like the Edelbrock hi-rise), you'll need the special spacer from Edelbrock. If you have an OPEN intake, you can use the open adapter from Budget Shit Auto or whatever. It might bolt right on where a Quadrajet was. I had to buy an adapter because I had a Thermoquad, and they're much wider. Call their tech support...they're helpful. For about $275, you can't beat the Performer. It sure sounds good at 5000 RPM with the recommended Edelbrock open air cleaner, on my 440 Magnum repro. With normal driving, all you hear is a soft hiss.

-denise

Comment

I'm planning on leaving the road very soon, going back to cnc machining. My brother is having me machine some special carb spacers for factory ford mavericks. Is there a need for custom spacers for older caddys? If there is hit me up and I'll see about making them also.

Comment

Originally posted by Morella View Post
            The #1906 Q-jet was discontinued, I believe, and was a little overpriced to begin with, but was a licensed Quadrajet copy for a 454 Chevy, and you may still be able to find one. Try Jeg's and Summit first. I had to cut the bottom part of the throttle linkage off to clear my intake on a Cad 500, but aside from that, it was a bolt-on. You can also change shafts, but you have to know what you're doing. A spacer might even be an option, but watch your hood clearance. Use the clay dowels. Either way, you're going to void the warranty on this carb if you put it on a Cadillac. Be thee ware that it uses the newer length rods, if you're into carb tuning, but you don't have to do that. You can (could) get tapered, and not stepped rods, and that's a plus if you don't have EGR, but I'm talking advanced stuff that you don't have to do. I'm just throwing out information.

The Edelbrock Performer is a square bore, like most Edelbrocks, and unless you have an open intake (like the Edelbrock hi-rise), you'll need the special spacer from Edelbrock. If you have an OPEN intake, you can use the open adapter from Budget Shit Auto or whatever. It might bolt right on where a Quadrajet was. I had to buy an adapter because I had a Thermoquad, and they're much wider. Call their tech support...they're helpful. For about $275, you can't beat the Performer. It sure sounds good at 5000 RPM with the recommended Edelbrock open air cleaner, on my 440 Magnum repro. With normal driving, all you hear is a soft hiss.

-denise
            Even though I didn't understand half of what you were talking about thanks for the info. I'll try Summit/Jeg.

Comment

Call for tech support then. It's easy to blow hundreds or thousands of buckaroos in this game fooling around with stuff that just doesn't mate. I can't tell you how many horror stories I've heard about money spent on mismatched cam and rear ends.

-denise

Comment

Working...
              X