what is it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is it?

On the inside of some hearses I've seen a long bar, maybe 5' long, hanging along the inside. It looks like some kind of clamp (sorta hooks at both ends). Just wondering what it is / used for?

I think your talking about the bar that holds a removal cot in place

Comment

Originally posted by Dasvigo View Post
      I think your talking about the bar that holds a removal cot in place
      Looking at it, sounds pretty good to me - bar runs along driver's side in the back. It has a perm. hook/loop at the far end and what looks like a sliding/adjustable hook near the rear door end. that may be it.
      Would they mostly be in Combo Hearses (ones with a folding jump seat) ? Come to think of it, the coach I'm thinking of in question has operating back door windows and door latches to get out with - Combo?
      Last edited by Flymanj3; 10-15-2008, 04:11 AM.

Comment

For a few decades pretty much all coaches had fully functioning doors and cot bars. What makes a combo a combo was like you mentioned jump seats, reversible roller panels that flip over to hold the wheels of a gurney, and also a removable beacon accessible through a zipper in the headliner of the drivers compartment. Oh and of course a siren behind the grill. They would also sometimes have more cabinets in the patient compartment.

Comment

photo reference...

Here's a photo for you so you can see how the gurney clamp works. You roll in the gurney through the back door & guide the gurney into the stationary hook, then push in on the round handle on the gurney clamp & pivot the gurney into the unlatched clamp... release the handle and your patient is loaded & secured! The photo is of the "business end" of my 1951 Cadillac Superior combination coach that still has it's original gurney & nurse's seat. Thanks for asking... hope my description & photo helps...
          Attached Files
          Last edited by hotroddwayne; 10-15-2008, 12:01 PM. Reason: add more description

Comment

Originally posted by hotroddwayne View Post
            Here's a photo for you so you can see how the gurney clamp works.
            THAT'S IT !!!!!!!!
            Now I can tell Joe what the hell it is
            Don't think he has a fold down seat, but it is a '71 with landaus - so I don't think it's a combo

Thanks everyone (man this place is great).

Comment

Working...
            X