break pedal trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• break pedal trouble

im getting her fixed bit by bit but have a new problem, the break pedal does not come all the way back up, i dident really notice before till i was working on her the other night and notice the break lights were on, and i pull the pedal up and it moved may a half inch and the lights when off,

how do i fix this, im learning as i go, but this part im nto sure, is there a spring, or do i just need to spray it down with wd40?

its a 61 cad.

Most likely the master cylinder needs to be changed.

Alex!

Comment

Originally posted by grimdame View Post
      im getting her fixed bit by bit but have a new problem, the break pedal does not come all the way back up, i dident really notice before till i was working on her the other night and notice the break lights were on, and i pull the pedal up and it moved may a half inch and the lights when off,

how do i fix this, im learning as i go, but this part im nto sure, is there a spring, or do i just need to spray it down with wd40?

its a 61 cad.
      Treadlevac master and booster combination?

Comment

It may be the booster. To test this, you can carefully unplug its vacuum line (please don't break the plastic fitting) and plug the hose, then see if the problem goes away. If so, I would recommend purchasing a loaded booster (one with the master cylinder attached). Otherwise, I would assume that the master cylnder has a bad spring or partially plugged compensating port, and the rear brake shoe springs are the only thing bringing the pedal back, so you can just replace it. Don't forget to bench bleed a master cylinder before you install it, whether you replace the booster with it or not.

Don't spray WD40 inside your car unless you want it to smell like WD40. LPS1 is a better choice, and what we use inside aircraft, but it still may leave a smell, especially since your carpet will still be in.

-denise

Comment

Working...
        X