Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sticky window

76 Superior Sovereign

I've never had problems with my power windows before, except that there was no feed to them when I first got it, they were just hooked together and nowhere else, so I gave it a 20-amp breaker into the main feed.

This has always worked fine, but I rolled my window down a few inches, and a couple of hours later, it didn't want to go up, with just the key on. It went down really fast, but barely crept going up.

I started the engine to give it some more voltage, and then when I tried to raise the window, it crept a little and stopped completely, wouldn't go up or down. The breaker had popped, so I reset it, and then the window slowly crept up and closed, so I left it there.

I'm happy with the 20-amp breaker, because it did its job, popped to save the wiring and the motor when the window stuck, but is there a common reason for the Superior or Cadillac windows sticking?

I appreciate any input (no pun intended).

-denise

I think it's common on all GMs. My 91 S-10, and my 91 Caddy S&S did this. I changed the window motor. Don't forget to grease the tracks and check for anything else loose while you are in there. Door panels are a pain to remove. Lots of hidden screws.

Comment

I guess you're right. I'm only kidding myself, looking for an excuse not to pull the door panel, because I know that I'm going to have to reupholster it once I get it off. These doors are notorious for leaking water...maybe it will be something as simple as needing a little lube on the regulator. I just wonder why it goes down so easily but not up, so you may be right about the motor being weak. There are also some adjustments in there, but I never could get them right. I could use a glass man.

My doors don't have them, but I thought I would mention that there is a special tool for removing door panel fastener snaps, and that using it will save the fasteners from being torn from the cardboard panel, rather than coming out of the metal. Also, while the abbreviated manuals sold at auto parts stores have actually printed otherwise, there is almost never anything to pry to remove a door panel. Some Cadillacs have a switch insert with a screw that is hidden under the door light cover, and the key to removing the switch panel is to get that screw, not to pry it off and break things, as these manuals say to do.

Merci pour le conseil,

-denise

Comment

I had the same thing happen to mine, checked the motor, works great, greased the crap out of the rollers and tracks, and it works good again. Course I did get a little excited with the grease, yanno it happens sometimes, and now occasionally when I roll up the window a little grease ends up on the window.

Comment

Working...
        X