Gas Tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Tank

Well Lily, Christine's '82 Buick, needs a gas tank. I dropped it for her and took it to get repaired. The interior looked great, no rust or trash, but the exterior is in awful shape. Because it was a Northern car, the skin and seams are so rusted they are about to crumble.
    We looked up pictures in the shops books for the right one. It IS an '82 Buick LeSabre gas tank, not a LeSabre Wagon. BUT the problem is this. On a regular tank the filler neck comes out the center of the back. On this one it is on the left side of the tank just behind the fender well. Will take pictures when I get a chance.

But does anyone know where I can have the neck moved when I find the correct tank?

Had the same set up on my 91 S&S Caddy. I used some fuel safe flex hose and a fiberglass elbow, i got from a boat shop, to replace my fill hose. And reran it to the left quarter panel. I did have to cut into the inside of the fiberglass body to route the hose. Some people say to take the original hose to a muffler shop, and have one made out of Exhaust tube. I can send pics when it quits raining.

Comment

Here is a pic of the gas tank. If you look at the Original Location you can see where there has been a plate welded over the original hole.

Comment

Mine still has the fill at the rear of the tank. But i had to run about 2 feet of flex hose to the fill hole on the 1/4 panel, with a hard 90 degree turn behind the rear bumper. These custom cars make things very difficult.

Comment

Cut both the panel and the fill tube off the old tank and have themwelded to the new tank, problem solved.

Comment

I was actually thinking about doing that Jody. I also thought about putting a flip back licence plate and just running it to the tag plate. But not sure how running uphill from the tag to the tank might work out.

Or counter sinking a hole in the floor at the back door and running the fill tube up to it. But then she would have to open the back door to put gas in and afraid of spillage and drips.
            If I could use the welders at work, I could put it together. Main problem is getting the exact placement.

Comment

Comment

She's Alive....... for now

Ok Christine bought this car from Richard last year. She and her BFF came up here, Atlanta, to look and and buy the car. Then they were gonna drive it back 700 miles back to Fort Lauderdale. On the way back to my house after buying her, she blows a tire. Being a holiday, 4th of july, the only place open near where the we were...WalMart. They said the only tire they had was a outline white letter. Basicly a damn truck tire. We finally got her home. We took her over to David and Denise's so he could take a good look at it and see if he thought it was capable of a 700 mile drive. We found a few things but nothing major, until I was under the back reconnecting lights. I saw something drip, from the gas tank. Needless to say they weren't gonna drive it with a gas leak.
                I finally got time to drop the tank and took it to be repaired. The outside was shit but the inside looked great. It couldn't be repaired. So I started looking for a replacement tank. I finally realized that the 82 buick le sabre used the same tank as an 84 cadillac. My parts car is an 84 cadillac.
                I dropped the cadillac tank, had it lined, bought a new sending unit, then started trying to put them back together. Well as I said before the filler neck had been modified. I finally figured out how to fix that. The hole in the bottom of the body was going into the floor of the car was directly over the corner of the tank. So I had to cut a new hole and redirect the filler hose. Gas filler hose is over $18 a ft so I wasn't gonna spend that much for a 3 or 4 ft run. Besides the hose isn't flexible enough to make sharp 90degree turns. So I took an exhaust elbox and some metal conduit and made my own filler pipe. I got here to hold gas and start with no leaks that I could see. Here are some pics of the original tank, and then the finished product.
                Attached Files

Comment

how far was that driven with that tire? LOL The outside of it has another 10000 miles
                  yet

Comment

We drove maybe 20 to 30 miles. The tires were dry rotted from hell. Would you believe the tire did not go flat. She heard a noise then the from shimmied just a little. So we pulled off the interestate at the next exit and to the gas station, then another half mile to wal mart.

Comment

I fixed mine with a fiberglass elbow used on boat gas tanks, and 2 pieces of gas filler hose. Repair was done before Monsterbash 08 and still holding strong. Should be in town Friday 5th or Saturday 6th. See ya soon.

Comment

What is the possibly that the Buick wagon tank is the tank you need with the filler in the right location? I might have missed something so I apoligize if I am back hashing.....

Comment

Working...
                        X