Ford 460 intake on a Caddy?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford 460 intake on a Caddy?!?

So while I was out waxing my car, I had a guy stop to check her out. Turns out he used to work for a Cadillac dealership and told me how they would put some sort of an adapter on the heads so that you could bolt on a Ford 460 after market intake to it. He claimed they also did a story in Hot Rod or Car Craft mag a while ago about this very same mod. He went on to tell me how crazy the horse power jumped! Has anyone here heard of such a thing? I see they have an intake from Edelbrock but man thats a lot of cash for it!

Eric
    Custom Coffin Works.com

Well bud experience tells me anything involving the words "adapter plate" usually NEVER turns out good. I've never heard of being able to cross-breed a Ford Intake onto a GM product to be honest & would imagine even if it works it would look like ass. Interesting concept, but getting intake ports to match in diameter for proper flow as well as water jackets to keep the engine cool... not to mention getting it all to seal up... eesshhh!

Comment

Haven't heard of it personally but here's one of several websites that offer the adapter kit.http://www.flatlanderracing.com/pmespacers-18.html

Comment

Well you guys got me digging today! Here's another company that sells an adapter for the intake swap http://www.pricemotorsport.com/html/...apter_kit.html. The way their website reads they developed this to give Cadillac entusiasts more options as to what you can put on a big block Caddy such as a blower, fuel injection, tunnel ram, and other intake configurations not offered for the Cadillacs. The old saying is true once again... you learn something new every day! Thanks for the post on this subject...

Comment

Originally posted by hotroddwayne View Post
          Well bud experience tells me anything involving the words "adapter plate" usually NEVER turns out good. I've never heard of being able to cross-breed a Ford Intake onto a GM product to be honest & would imagine even if it works it would look like ass. Interesting concept, but getting intake ports to match in diameter for proper flow as well as water jackets to keep the engine cool... not to mention getting it all to seal up... eesshhh!
          I agree. Being a Chevy guy I never would have thought about cross breeding stuff like that, It doesn't work on people so it shouldn't work on engines. I just wanted to know if it was true and if anyone did this. I think personally I would go with the Edelbrock intake if I was going to change anything out at all.

Comment

BBC's have a dry intake, so port matching, for instance on a 425 single-plane to 472-500 dual-plane conversion, can often be done by grinding, if it's close. Many people used to use Ford 460 blowers on them before BDS came up with a blower specifically designed for the BBC.

The dry intake, on BBC, and B or RB Chrysler, (the ones I know of) allow some easy experimentation with induction systems because you don't have to drain oil or coolant to change the intake. There was even one for BBC made out of sheet metal that went for $2500 on Ebay. I suppose that the separate hi-rise pipes up to the flange made for some decent fuel mixing.

As for the Edelbrock intake, be thee ware that it will not fit under the Eldorado hood. Most spacers won't even fit. It's nice if you want the clearance to put any Quadrajet, such as a Chevy, or Edelbrock 1906 repro, though, because otherwise, you have to saw off the bottom of the linkage. The BBC intake is low, which is why a carb spacer helps with performance.

-denise

Comment

Working...
            X