VIN location?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VIN location?

Anyone know where the vin is on the frame of an 80 cadillac? Nevada dmv said they have to have it visible when i have it inspected.

I think it's on top of the frame near the steering box, but will have to go out & look

Comment

Nothing yet, still cleaning off grease!!!

Comment

Sorry dude just looked on my '80 & can't find a VIN on the frame anywhere under the hood. I asked your VIN # question on another board & this is the answer I got:

There is no full VIN stamped onto the frame. There are VIN derivatives (ie the last 6 numbers or similar) stamped on certain major components. They should be using these locations to verify the vehicle...but I guess they do things a little different. Bottom line, if they want the full VIN on the frame, you will have to put it there.

Comment

Thanks! I'll check with the dmv tommorrow and see what they say, This is getting to be a disaster, might have to find a totalled hearse with a title and call it a rebuild!!!

Comment

They say on the Cadillac/LaSalle website the VIN is on the body, engine block, & transmission casing. The engine & transmission are shakey to rely on as they're so often changed at some point over the years and aren't a full VIN number, typically only the last 6 digits it mentions. Sorry this isn't much help... the BMV is a fun bunch huh!

Comment

I take it the one at the base of the windshield isn't enough?

Comment

Sounds like the DMV agent doesnt know their butt from a hole in the ground if they want you to locate the VIN yourself. Frame VIN locations are a closely guarded secret by law enforcement. Here in AZ when the agent requires VIN verification a DPS officer takes the vehicle into a secured garage where no prying eyes can watch him as he locates the number. They run a record search on the VIN and will seize the vehicle if there are problems. And of course, there is a service fee for doing it.

The inspector should be able to locate it without you having to do anything.

Comment

AZ is BF'd when it comes to VIN numbers. When I had my windscreen put in, they covered up the VIN number with felt, and the idiot at the emissions testing station insisted that the coachmaker's number on the door was the correct one, and the title was for a different car. I had to make a sharpened hook tool to try to cut the felt without pulling the dash, and I still ended up putting a wrinkle in it. This is why I HATE sending out work...everyone fucks it up, every time.

According to the 75 manual that I have, the VIN number is the one under the windshield, and they don't mention one anywhere else.

-denise

Comment

Working...
                  X