Mpg increase?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mpg increase?

Just finally got the A.C. working again in the hearse and after a trip from San Antonio,Tx to Paris,Tx about 400 miles runnin A.C. the whole time I actually went from around 21 to 22 mpg which has been consistant the whole time I've been using this car for my roadtrips to 25.2 mpg! Now can any of you mechanical gooroos tell my how and why it went up or is it just a straight up coincidence?

It's possible the wind resistance created when you have your windows open kills your mileage more than when they are up and you have your AC on.

Comment

Originally posted by jlprigmore View Post
      Just finally got the A.C. working again in the hearse and after a trip from San Antonio,Tx to Paris,Tx about 400 miles runnin A.C. the whole time I actually went from around 21 to 22 mpg which has been consistant the whole time I've been using this car for my roadtrips to 25.2 mpg! Now can any of you mechanical gooroos tell my how and why it went up or is it just a straight up coincidence?
      I'm no mechanical gooroo, but maybe with the A/C working and windows up there's less drag?!?

I guess RU is a faster typer than I am.

BTW if you went to Paris, TX you basically drove right past me!

Comment

Mythbusters did a segment on this subject. They showed that the open windows do play a big part in the gas mileage. So it wasn't the fact that your A/C was on but the windows being up. Wish mine got 25, hell I even go for 15!

Comment

It's possible the wind resistance created when you have your windows open kills your mileage more than when they are up and you have your AC on
          That answer is close.
          Actually now that your big hairy arm isn't hanging out the window.....

Just kidding

Comment

Ok I can definetely see the whole window up thing, but let me throw a little twist in there though. Even in the winter when I drove from PA back home to OK I still got around 21 mpg and most of that drive is fairly down hill. Ya know what, I definetely appreciate the input. I can definetely see the window down thing, but I'm not even gonna worry about it, just gonna enjoy the better mileage and leave it at that.

Comment

Working...
            X