58 Cadillac Hearse Wheel Brake Cylinders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 58 Cadillac Hearse Wheel Brake Cylinders

I need to replace and/or rebuild the brake wheel cylinders for my 58 Cadillac Hearse. If memory serves, I think the fronts are the same as a standard 58 Cadillac????? Where is the best place to buy them or get rebuild kits. I know Kanter has them for standard caddys but not cheap (nothing at Kanter is) and they still advise that the rear rebuild kits are unavailable for commercial. Someone is bound to carry them............ can anyone point me in the right direction?? Thanks!

Napa can get them.
    Katner's suck ass. I wouldn't buy a can of Brake Kleen from them if they were blowing them out for a penny. They dick you with returns and their parts rarely fit as designed.

Comment

I upgraded my wheel cylinders from the obsolete 1" bore to the 1-1/8" bore used on 60 or 61 Commercial Chassis Cadillacs. It's a bolt on and most places carry them cheap. I believe they are also used on chevy trucks....

Comment

What else did you have to change? Or did they bolt right in and work in place of them??

Comment

Im not a rocket scientist, but I know enough about hydraulics that the cylinder size affects the lifting or pushing force. The folks at GM did enough research into the brake sizes. I do believe a larger wheel cylinder will exert more force, causing the front brakes to grab harder.,

I have some front wheel cylinders from a 63 Cad. I havent checked the books to see if they fit, but they are yours if you want them

email me at choppergod76@hotmail.com

Comment

My mistake, I thought gtoblade was inquiring about the rear cylinders. I skimmed right over the question about front cylinders. The '58 CC uses the same front brake parts as Fleetwood. If you need part numbers I can get them for you....

Comment

According to Wagner, the 1958 & 1959 Commercial Chassis Use kit #F13620 in the front - 1-1/8" bore. The use Kit #F3609 in the rear - 1-1/16" bore.

63 Cad uses an 1-3/16" bore in the front.

If your cylinders are not rebuildable you can have them re-sleeved at any competent brake/clutch/friction shop. I can recommend one in Southern California if you need to go that route... or,

1960 CC (except MM) uses Cylinder #F34474(Left Rear) and #F34475 (right rear). these are 1-1/8" bore. They bolt right up on 58 and 59 CC cars, Stopping power is excellent, and the only other change required is using 5/16" bolts to mount the cylinder to the backing plate instead of 1/4".

I have always rebuilt my front cylinders, but I show an 1-1/8" bore cylinder available for 1961. I'd compare them very closely, but you may find them a bolt in.

Part #'s are - F46285 (LF) and F46286 (RF).

Hope this info helps! You can Email me directly at Beladona_13@msn.com.

Comment

Working...
              X