X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• timing & recurve on HEI conversion

Ok this where I am at with Sweet Sarah
    new water pump,
    new timing chain, (still amazed cadillac used nylon gear IMHO dumb idea)
    new thermostat
    new holley carb 870 cfm with primary jets downsized to 75 and pv increased from 4.5 to 6.5 hg (still may need to increase to 7.5)
    used Hei distributor from 73 to 75 ish caddy
    new hoses for radiator, and heater hoses to front and rear heater cores
    new rear heater core (damn the car is long)
    new plugs (currently gapped @ 0.50)
    new wires (8mm)
    new adjustable vacuum canister
    new 4 pin module
    new fuel lines
    new fuel pump
    new master cylinder (anyone looking for one for a 69 hearse it a eldorado type with passenger side ports)
    new rear wheel cylinders
    used gas tank from an 1982 el camino (custom fitted of course)
    and I am sure there is more new stuff I didn't mention

you still reading
    sorry it is a long laundry list

Here's the question
    I have seen several recurve specs for the HEI timing numbers they seem to change from one tech site to another

What is the timing and recurve set up for a somewhat stock 69 472 base timing, recurve in hei, etc.?

I am getting what sounds like a dry ping @ start up but doesn't ping while running or driving. I have tried advancing and retarding adjusted carb idle and it is still there. One guy suggested tightening the acclerator pump screw but...

any suggestions.

Might just be the rockers making some noise until the oil pump gets oil flowing through the pushrods & lifters if it sounds internal... especially if it's just for a couple seconds after startup. Next oil change pour in some Lucas & see if that takes care of it.

Comment

I wouldnt work about recurving the distrib. Stick lighter springs in there so the timing advanced earlier. Unless you want to take the car to a drag strip, stay outa the danger zone.

Comment

Working...
      X