'72 Lug Pattern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '72 Lug Pattern

Anyone know the lug pattern of a '72 Cadillac M&M Hearse? Can't find any info that old online. Any other GM's with the same lug pattern?

Thanks!

According to this web page it would be 5 x 5" (5 x 127mm).

Comment

Originally posted by daryl View Post
      Anyone know the lug pattern of a '72 Cadillac M&M Hearse? Can't find any info that old online. Any other GM's with the same lug pattern?

Thanks!
      Yes, it's the 5 on 5" lug pattern. It's sometimes called the "truck" lug pattern because GM used it for their 1/2 ton full-size trucks & vans for years, also on their bigger cars. Before front-wheel-drive junk got shoved down our throats there were just the two GM 5-lug patterns, 5 on 5" and 5 on 4 3/4" bolt circles.

If you're looking for wheels & want a good cheat to keep with you for sizing, buy this "wheel pattern template" for a few bucks and then you can quickly identify the lug pattern of ANY wheel you may come across: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MFY-8021392/

Standard width for 5 on 5" is 7" wide, but some trucks & vans had 8" wide rims so keep that in mind... the Caddys have so much tire up in the rear quarters i would recommend staying away from 8" rims because your tires may rub... especially with fender skirts.

Comment

Im still looking for a spare. My back spacing is 3 3/4. I tried a Surburban rim and 1 from a large car with a 5 in. bolt pattern, but both were offset too far to the inside and hit the upper arm with a 235 tire. If I dont find anything else, looks like a tall skinny tire for a spare. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by travlinman View Post
          Im still looking for a spare. My back spacing is 3 3/4. I tried a Surburban rim and 1 from a large car with a 5 in. bolt pattern, but both were offset too far to the inside and hit the upper arm with a 235 tire. If I dont find anything else, looks like a tall skinny tire for a spare. Good luck.
          There is a such thing as a "hearse rim" but I thought they were called that because they're welded AND riveted where the rim contacts the center section. Not sure if they are a different offset though. I have a set of 4, will measure one for ya if I can dig them out.

Comment

Originally posted by travlinman View Post
            If the large car was a front wheel drive the offset will not work on a rear wheel drive hearse. Also, if the suburban was a 4x4 it will most likely be the same offset as that of the front wheel drive.

Originally posted by hotroddwayne View Post
            There is a such thing as a "hearse rim" but I thought they were called that because they're welded AND riveted where the rim contacts the center section. Not sure if they are a different offset though. I have a set of 4, will measure one for ya if I can dig them out.
            The "hearse rim" should be about the same offset as that of any rear wheel drive car. You are correct that the "hearse rim is welded and riveted for the extra load capacity expected of the commercial chassis. It is also a "hub centric" wheel. Most aftermarket wheels are "lug centric"

All this means is how the wheel is centered on the hub. With a hub centric wheel the wheel is made to fit tightly on the hub of the car. This way when you put the wheel on the car the wheel is already centered. This adds strength and prevents improper lug tightening.

A lug centric wheel usually has a larger hub opening so that it fits many applications. It relies on the lug nuts (which are rounded on the bottom) to center the wheel. Basically you have to hand snug each lug nut all the way in to center the wheel before you begin to torque them down.

All the hub types of wheels are interchangeable but you might run into difficulty trying to put the hub centric wheel on a different application than it was made for, because the wheel may not actually go over the hub.

Comment

i'm running some 8 inch wide gm truck wheels in the back with 255/65/15. no clearance issues, no extra welds or rivets.

oh. on a 72 also.

Comment

I would think a truck wheel would be built to support a lot of weight. I don't know what a full size truck weighs, but with the bed loaded it could be close or more than a hearse with a casket.

Comment

The new commercial chassis has 8-lug wheels. Whether or not it is FWD or RWD, I don't know, but I'm guessing that they're overbuilding them a little here and there because they're a new concept. C'est par moi, aussi, but I like overbuilding. I had one of the early Toronados that was overbuilt to God's own specs, but I never could drive into hell. I ended up having to sell it for parts when a runaway truck rolled over the top of it. sob sniff.

It is kind of strange, to me, that hearse wheels are not build with 6-lug or 8-lug wheels that the 3/4 ton pickups used, but if they do fit tightly around the hub (I think they do, but I can't remember), and with the welding around the rim, I think that they would be OK for normal service. I'm sure that there are those who do it, but a hearse never was deigned to go mud climbing, racing, or spinning out in a K-mart parking lot.

-denise

Comment

I wanna se a video of a Hearse doing a donut

Comment

I run 10" wide wheels all the way around on my car, with 255-45-15" tires. I had to narrow my rearend 8" and my front end 2" to get them to tuck and still lay the car flat on the ground.

Originally posted by pyro View Post
                      I wanna se a video of a Hearse doing a donut
                      Ask and you shall recieve.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/L3SaaARwY10&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/L3SaaARwY10&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ImOS-7vWLWA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ImOS-7vWLWA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

I run 10" wide wheels all the way around on my car, with 255-45-15" tires. I had to narrow my rearend 8" and my front end 2" to get them to tuck and still lay flat on the ground.
                      Last edited by Creepy Cruiser; 12-02-2009, 03:02 AM.

Comment

i dont know about you guys with new hearses but mines use's the big gm pattern..i have some 65 buick Rivera wheels on mine when i was driving it...and now have 82 chevy truck wheels on it while working on it with no clearance problems

Comment

Working...
                        X