Squeals like a pig in heat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squeals like a pig in heat

Problem: The car squeals like hell when I step on the accelerator. We have changed the accessory belt, and tightened it up as much as possible. On the OLD belt (which was quite new), even an application of belt dressing didn't cure it.

I've searched the internet auto forums, and the usual answer is "change the accessory belt, change the spring-loaded tensioner. Hubby SAYS there is no belt tensioner; he may be right or wrong.

Is there a belt tensioner on an 81 Buick Electra Estate Wagon? Could it be the pulleys themselves?

Ideas, guys and gals? I'd rather look like the TOTAL AMATEUR that I am here, rather than at Advance.

You didn't mention if you have a serpentine belt or V-belts. Either way, pull the belt(s) off and spin all the pulleys by hand. If any are really tight, chances are that is why it is squeaking. Check to see if they are aligned properly too. If it is a V-belt, check to make sure you have the right belt. Make sure it is not too long, the right width, they come in 15, 17 etc. Too long or too skinny will make it squeal.

Comment

It's a v- belt......thanks for the suggestions, Riff Raff!
      Last edited by bathory313; 01-29-2010, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X