windshield idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• windshield idea

what is the feasibility of having a windshield made out of plexi glass?

win or fail?

FAIL!

It scratches to easy and if it gets hit hard and breaks large chucks will come flying in on you.

Comment

Not Plexie glass, Lexan, race cars use it all the time.

Comment

I ran a polycarbonate (Lexan) windshield for 10 years in mine till I found a nice new glass one. It worked great. Nobody even knew that it wasn't glass. You can't run windshield wipers on it, because it will scratch, but other than that it worked killer.

Comment

hmm interesting

Comment

well i talked to these people - http://www.proglasswindows.com/

they can do it, and say you can run wipers on mar-resistant lexan, but it sheds water well enough that it's not necessary.

Comment

Thats Who I used for My 84 Firebird, You can beat it with a hammer and it wont break. Use the 3/16 for windshield and 1/8 for sides. Good for over 200 mph in the pro mods. Do You need it formed or can You use a flat sheet. Alot of plastic places stock it, cut it with a jig saw and screw it down. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by ryan_ricks View Post

they say you can run wipers on mar-resistant lexan, but it sheds water well enough that it's not necessary.
                That's pretty cool, that you can use wipers now. (technology, lol)

I basically did mine just like travlinman said. I took my class one out, laid it on the ground and stomped it flat to use it as a pattern. Then traced it onto the polycarb, cut it out with a jig saw, and installed it with butyl rope and screws, then put the trim back on. Worked great for like I said 10 years, till I finally found a real one.

When I bought my car it had no glass in it at all, so I made polycarb ones for all the windows, and have been changing them out as I find them. I still have to find a rear gate glass, that's the last one I need.
                Last edited by Creepy Cruiser; 02-27-2010, 09:20 PM.

Comment

well i acquired a sheet of lexan. it was only like $230. i could get two of these and still come out ahead of getting an actual windshield.

Comment

Are you really having that much trouble finding a real windshield? (what year?)

Comment

I just got my windshield replaced for only $300, and it took about 2 days for them to get the glass because apparently my car was in their books as a first response vehicle

Comment

Mine cost $900 including shipping and installation, from National Auto Glass. My rear window, I replaced with 3/8" Lexan, which is extremely tough, but can easily be curved enough to make a rear or side window. If you replace a fixed window, be sure to use the proper butyrate sealant. RTV will eat the metal.

Comment

There's a glass guy in Monroe who said he could replace my windshield (Hearse) for $250 I think. I believe we have the same windshield

Comment

let me know how that goes. i think i am going to go ahead and test out the lexan windshield for the time being. i found a potential match at CW Coach, but the guy wants about $500 for it.

Comment

Here is a plan B

Comment

Working...
                              X