74 air conditioner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 74 air conditioner

I am trying to get my AC working on my car and was wondering if all it needs is just the freon refilled or if it's going to be more complicated than that...It blows cool air now, just not cold air...any help will be greatly appreciated...

You're prolly going to need to check it for leaks. It would suck to fill it up or have it filled, just to find a leak. If you're gonna have a shop do it, they'll check for leaks. But if you wanted to do it yourself, Advanced Auto Parts is starting to carry the blacklight responsive UV leak detector kits.

Comment

also, may want to consider a r134-a conversion. last time I checked r12 was about $40 a pound.

Comment

Doesn't the POV valve need to be re calibrated to run 134?

Comment

LMS helped me do a complete AC system rebuild and conversion to 134a. You will probably spend somewhere in the neighborhood of $500 for parts if you need a compressor.

Comment

Have you been happy with it? Most of the cars that I have converted to R134 cool great at cruise, but they don't blow that icy cold air at idle like they did with R12, even though the pressures are correct. I've tried electric condensor fans, and it doesn't help much. Some people have suggested a parallel-flow condensor and Sanden compressor...anybody tried that on a 70's model?

-d

Comment

you can buy freeze 12 which runs like r12 and costs less.

Comment

Freeze 12 is just R134a mixed with R142b. I believe the mix is like 80/20. Supposedly it will work in either R134a or R12 systems without changing the compressor oil or even replacing the receiver dryer....

Comment

I was told by the ac guy that it is/was a synthetic version of r-12 and it is supposed to cool as good as r-12 as well
                  Last edited by Paradox; 09-26-2010, 06:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X