An exercise in daydreaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An exercise in daydreaming

I have, in my spare time , been thinking about what to do with my 1961 Superior Limo Style Endloader. Keep it origional? Nah, too far gone for that. Restify it? If I liked the body enough, yeah, but I am not in love with limo style hearses. Modify it? Maybe so, but how? Heres my thoughts:

1) Modern drivetrain ~ I was thinking about going as far as a complete chassis swap with a Chevy truck with a similar wheelbase, along with the full engine/trans/rear. This would give it a bit of a lift and make part easier/cheaper to find. And maybe better motivation with either fuel injection or a big block. I love the fact that my 61 M+M is almost completely origional. Except that I am always afraid the engine will let go if I push it too hard, the brakes are drum/drum with a little single resivoir master cylinder (panic stops are always exhillerating) and the transmission is... expensive and obscure as far as transmission shops are concerned. So I want one I can drive with complete confidence long distances. AND it will give me a spare drivetrain for the M+M.

2) Body ~ Since I am not big on limo style hearses, maybe filling in the windows between the C and D pillars and finding appropriate landau bars. I would find some that appeal to me instead of the "right" ones. I like curve in my bars, not Superior's straight ones. Hmmm.... I have some off a 79 Crown...

3) Trim ~ I picked up a pair of MX7000 lightbars because I thought about making this a "Gothic Ambulance", but now I am not sure I want to put up with the headache of not only wiring them, but the one rookie cop that is looking for his "big bust" that is around every corner. If I went that route, it would get an Ecto-like paint job, but in Black with either purple, green or orange stripes with matching lenses for the lightbars. Logos would be in 18" on both the front doors and "etched" on the rear side windows (in place of the cross or star of life) in the style of the era. On the other hand, if I went Landau with it I would want it to have some sinister touches without being gouche. Limo tint the windows, 18" wheels of a simple design, chrome skull centers on the landau bows and a hood ornament based on this: http://www.cas4.com/Skulls/Accessori...-Curved-01.jpg. Oh, and a nice throaty dual exhaust.

So what do you think? This is my one "play" car, and I can't afford to do it once, much less multiple times. Chime in with experience, stories, advice or random thoughts PERTAINING TO THE SUBJECT!

(I know you cornholes are out there ).
    Attached Files

Don't forget coffin mufflers
    Increased Horsepower. Increased Throttle Response. Increased Fuel Economy.

and the skull exhaust tips...

Comment

Advice?
      Modifications are never straight foward, rarely cheap, and sometimes not as reliable as you intended.

There are several companies to upgrade the brakes. But usually $2k for a nice set up for 4 wheels.

I would stick with a drive train from a late 60's or early 70's cadillac. another $2k ?

Themes? It is hard to modify a hearse without it ending up "corny" or "typical".
      I always thought it would be cool to do a Frankenstein's lab in the back.

I have never been a fan of the limo style either.

Comment

Those mufflers are a little cool actually.

Makes me want to get a set of flowmasters, cut out the baffle design and just weld up my own.

Comment

Run it hard, just keep the rpm below 5000. Worst case, I have 2 running 63 390 motors I trannies

Comment

Just based on this :

If I liked the body enough, yeah, but I am not in love with limo style hearses.
            I would suggest not spending a whole lot of time or money on it. We all know how much TLC it takes to make a car nice, and if you're not going to be in love with it when you're done, it's not going to be worth it.

-d

Comment

Working...
            X