Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

passenger side mirror assembly problem..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• passenger side mirror assembly problem..

I'm getting there with my '87 S&S (engine rebuild, welding etc.) Last night I caught my mirror and the whole thing came of, it kinda fell off where the moving bit fastens on to the door bit- it dosen't seem broken as such, however all I can see is where it should attach, and a spring inside - I can't see a way to get it back on (kinda dangling at the moment on the wires.) Is it broken or is there a simple way to re-attach it ? any help would be great.
    Last edited by ukdoa; 07-14-2010, 09:59 AM.

Can you post pictures? A picture of the door where the mirror is supposed to go, and one of the flange of the mirror, on the side that attaches to the door, would be helpful. I want to say that there are screws going into the mirror from the inside of the door, but I'm not exactly sure.

-d

Comment

Yes - I'll get some pics up asap. thanks for your help

Comment

pix would help

Comment

yeah i imagine it attaches from the inside skin of the door. the glass in my passenger side mirror wobbles a good bit. i haven't really found any way to fix this yet.

Comment

couldn't see very well last night, plus it was thundering + lightning however after close inspection I think it must have some sort of collet or washer around the bottom of the post. which basically needs reattaching... (door cards off mirror bracket off, 'nother painful job..!)
            hopefully my pics will upload.
            Attached Files

Comment

it looks like maybe there's supposed to be some kind of collar down in there that the mirror pops into, and locks it into place?

Comment

Yes you could well be right.. anyway I'm going to be busy all weekend long, so it's just gonna have to "hang lose" 'til monday.

Comment

That is exactly what hapened to me 69 2 weeks ago.
                  The mirrors look similer ( slightly different)

What i had to do is take the mirror out first. On mine i pusht in on the top of the mirror , then look in the gap at the bottom betwean the mirror and the metal pieace. There was a little screw there. Undue that and the rirror should come right out.(however it is a tight fit for the screw driver)
                  from there there was 2 screws that atacht the sqware pieace to the stand. I just screwed them back in and then reatacht the mirror.
                  I know the mirrors are alittle different but mabey this will give you an idea to start with.

Comment

Got her in the garage, mainly because it's hardly stopped raining, & when Monday comes around I'll have a look. It should have "clicked" round on the bracket to fold neatly out of the way, but there's no grease on it so it just fell off..!

Comment

Working...
                    X