My Coach Doesn't Exist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Coach Doesn't Exist

I'm having what I assume is an unusual problem. I've been looking for a hood ornament on eBAy and local boneyards since I picked my coach up in April with no luck whatsoever. I finally said "To Hell with it" and called a local cadillac dealership.

I told the woman on the phone that I needed the hood ornament for a 1988 Fleetwood and she told "No Problem" it'll be 87 bucks. I have to admit; being the cheap bastard that I am, I almost feinted. 87 bucks for a 2 oz piece of potmetal decorative trim? I told her I'd look around some more and call her back.

I looked some more with NO luck, so this afternoon, when I could stand looking at the empty space on her hood no more, I drove her down to a caddy dealer to order the damn thing. The guy I talked to at the parts counter couldn't order the part without the VIN number. "No problem" says I and off I went to get said number.

I brought the number back and the parts guy entered it into his system. The number came up for a RWD Fleetwood. My Fleetwood is a FWD (which has been causing me MANY problems with aftermarket rims and such). "I don't think they MADE a FWD Fleetwood in 88" says the parts guy. "I'm driving what claims to be one", says I. "Well, I can't help you without a valid VIN number. My computer can't pull up a parts list without one." says he, and thus ended my visit to THAT dealership. I find it rather appropriate that the sky opened up and buckets of water fell on me and my coach as I drove home.

In my search for aftermarket rims and car covers I've noticed that MOST of the "enter your year and model" features don't list a FWD Fleetwood in 88. I'd already started wondering if there hadn't been some shenanigans at the caddy plant that supplied my front end and chasis. Is it possible that I'm driving an Eldorado chasis (the only model everybody can agree came in FWD in 88) with a Fleetwood front clip? The only places that say Fleetwood, are the glove box and the title...which I thought was a bit odd when I originally looked at her. My regular mechanic and "tire" guy, who I had check her over before I bought her, was also amazed by the 14 inch rims on this car.

I called a couple of other dealerships when I got home and explained my problem. Two of the dealerships are actually quite curious about my situation and want to take a look at the car themselves. I'm going to the closer of the two tomorrow morning.

The parts guy at the first dealership sounds like an older guy. He thought he knew exactly what type of car I was dealing with until I gave him the VIN number. Which is 1GEDZ9056J4250402 if you're curious. Apparently the letter in the 4th spot is supposed to stand for the body type. According to him, the fourth position is supposed to be a C, and the car is supposed to be RWD. He was also greatly confused. He told me he'd love to take a look at the car and I should bring it in next week.

The parts guy at the dealership I'm going to tomorrow, was shocked when he entered my VIN number from Hell into his computer and the program kicked him completely out of the system. I'm sure it was a coincidence, but he told me it had NEVER happened before. I actually heard him telling another employee about it and the guy was "are you serious? How is that possible?" Fortunately for me, he is also greatly curious to look at the car in question.

Hopefully, I'll have an answer tomorrow. But in the likely event that I don't, any help you guys can give me would be GREATLY appreciated. I hate to be a pest, but I just don't know enough about these coaches yet and learning takes time.

Thanks in advance.

Glenn

Just get one on Ebay, or post a photo of the old one, if you still have it, with a ruler or measuring tape, and a photo of the mounting base. I may have one lying around here that I would give you for free.

My mother-in-law need a "Grand Marquis" script for her 1980's Ford...she was quoted $149 at the dealer, and I found her one, like new, for $1 on Ebay. Many people part out a car and put all of the parts up for $1 just to see what they'll bid up to. Junkyards are also an option.

-d

Comment

Is it possible the car would be a late model 88, making it closer to an 89? I have that problem with my '97 powerstroke. It's an early 97 truck, so I have to get parts for a 96 truck. Half of the '97 stuff doesn't fit my truck, there was a model change that year.

Comment

I was looking here: http://service.gm.com/dealerworld/vi.../vincard88.pdf Some of the digits in the VIN don't really mesh up with that decoder. Where are you getting the VIN number from? A door plate, or the one behind the windshield?

Comment

Originally posted by spastic_chicken View Post
          I was looking here: http://service.gm.com/dealerworld/vi.../vincard88.pdf Some of the digits in the VIN don't really mesh up with that decoder. Where are you getting the VIN number from? A door plate, or the one behind the windshield?

Thanks for posting this... it is a great little bit of information.

Comment

I actually have the Cadillac Gold Key delivery sheet and the owner's manual (the Funeral Home actually filled out the owner information sheet). According to the sheet S&S took delivery in February of 88. I don't remember when the funeral home in Iowa took delivery from them, but I'm pretty sure it's in the book. I know it's not relevant, but it IS kind of cool to know where she came from. One day (after I get her restored) we're gonna take a drive to Iowa to visit her folks.

I appreciate the offer, Morella (and I haven't forgotten about the other post...I've just been stupid busy the last couple days) and if you happen to have one, I'd be happy to take it off your hands. According to the woman I talked to the first time, they only made the hood ornament for the 88 a couple of years which is what makes it difficult to find. I've looked on eBay but there's no way to guarantee that the ornament will fit until you try it and see. I have a similar problem with my lugs. Instead of the 5x5 inch lug system that they used for (practically) ever, they switched to a 5x115 mm in 87 or 88. Lucky for me, they decided it wasn't a great system so they changed it in 89 or 90. Makes getting aftermarket rims a stone cold bitch.

I'd rather not rip out the entire assembly and replace it if I don't have to. The mounting bracket is there, but I suspect the kid I bought it from removed the original ornament so he could mount some Jack Skelington related item to his hood. He's a nice kid, but I could choke him for that one.

Speaking of changing out the mounting bracket. I DO happen to have the hood ornament that I took off my first caddy (a 74 Eldarado). I don't have the mounting bracket and there's NO way it'll fit the bracket on mine, but is there some sort of adapter kit that I could use (or make) that would let me use the ornament I already have? It sounds unlikely, but you never know, bumble bees shouldn't be able to fly and they get around pretty well.
            Last edited by Uglybastard239; 09-03-2010, 11:04 PM.

Comment

You guys are replying faster than I can keep up. I got the VIN number from behind the windshield. I've never checked, but I assume all the VIN numbers match throughout the vehicle...of course I'm also assuming the one behind the windshield matches the one on the title. It never even occurred to me to check.

Ok I'm still checking out the AWESOME link you posted and I'll be damned if I know why my numbers don't work. I double checked when I wrote it down and typed it in. That's the number I have to work with.
              Last edited by Uglybastard239; 09-03-2010, 11:35 PM.

Comment

try looking it up as a Cadillac "commercial chassis"
                I have found some parts for mine are fleetwood, but others are specific to the "commercial chassis" and the vin usually doesnt come back to a fleetwood, but a CC

otherwise, like suggested, post up a pic of the hood ornament and the underside mounting under the hood and maybe someone can hook you up.
                I know the local boneyard here has hundreds of caddies around those years

Comment

Oh, forgot the problem with the boneyards. The ONE junk yard that claims to have "a couple" won't sell them without the hood. 200 bucks for a hood/ornament combo.

Unfortunately, I don't have a picture of the ornament I need. Hopefully I'll be able to get one tomorrow. I can take pictures of the hood mount, but I still haven't figured out how to post pictures on this particular forum. Every time I try uploading pictures, they disappear into limbo and linking from MySpace (which is where I usually host pics) doesn't seem to work here either.

Comment

try here:
                    Cadillacville:
                    360-785-4133

They may not be able to figure out your conundrum, but they're sure to have your ornament if Morella doesn't.

Comment

I've got a Cadillac emblem you can try out, the one I have is the standard spring loaded style.
                      $20.00 if it works, sound fair? PM me if interested, I can take a couple pix & email them if you need...

Comment

My friend has an 87 FWD S&S hearse. I will get her to measure and take some pictures of her hood ornament. She also had a problem finding wheels, being a FWD. She got some after market chrome wheel but I don't know where. I don't think you will have a big selection to choose from when you actually do find some. Is are a few pictures of her hearse.

Comment

That is one of the coolest custom paint jobs I've ever seen. I wouldn't do it to mine, but it is sharp.

As for ALL the folks who have offered to help me find a hood ornament so far. Thank you for your offers, I truly appreciate any help I can get finding this thing. I thought it was going to be one of the easiest parts to replace and it's becoming one of the most difficult. Go figure.

I'd like to post close up pictures of my front end and the mount but I'm still having problems getting pictures onto this site.

Glenn

Comment

I went out and took some pictures of my ornament mount today. I've got them posted on photobucket so hopefully the links will work. Please let me know if they don't.

The mount sits dead center on the front of the hood and has 2 notches front and back (which I'm hoping you can see in the pics), that I'm assuming the ornament will have to rest on.

The mount measures (approx) 7/8 inches across, 11/16 at the inner ridge and 1/2 inch arcoss the inncer circle. I'm no closer to knowing what the hell this cadillac is, but at least I now have a GM part number that "should" work - 12333084. It also; apparently, was in use from 85 to 90...better than the 2 years I was told by the first dealership I talked to.

If anybody has one of these that isn't GOLD or faded out, I'd love to hear about it. I'm always fond of saving money. Of course if you know where I can find center caps for my 14 inch rims (that don't have Burgundy centers), I'd love to know about that too.

Thanks again for all the help so far. I'll be calling the number listed on Monday or Tuesday depending on whether or not they're open.

Last edited by Uglybastard239; 09-05-2010, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Of course if you know where I can find center caps for my 14 inch rims (that don't have Burgundy centers), I'd love to know about that too.
                              This was common practice for Cadillac for some time, I believe it started in 1980 & ran up through at least 1992 (maybe later) where all their centers were maroon... no matter what color the car was the hubcap centers were maroon. I don't know if your FWD is the same... but on the 15" RWD hubcaps S&S put their logo in the center caps to cover up the Cadillac crest/wreath logos, still with the maroon background. here's a pic of my '80 S&S and you can see the original hubcap as described above.

As for your hood ornament, if you don't want to change the holder you're stuck finding one specific to your car. They can be a little tricky since they are spring loaded, but you'll get the hang of it quick. Getting one complete is the easiest, then all you have to do is take off the big sheet metal nut that holds the base on & replace the whole assembly. The ornament i'd sell is the one in this same picture above, and it has it's original base that goes with it (an original Cadillac "crest" ornament). I replaced it with an original "S&S" hood ornament & base scored last year...

Comment

Working...
                              X