spun bearing????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spun bearing????

Hey everyone i just picked up a 70 472 that has been completely rebuilt to factory specs. Was put into a firebird for a whopping 8 miles. Previous owner took it up and down the road to get some issues resolved and when it got warm it started to knock. He told me he thinks its a spun bearing. I brought it home and pulled valve covers and everything looks brand new. Pulled pan and found a good size dent and crack on pickup tube where the oil drain bolt was rubbing on it. Could the noise he heard be this rattle? I have rebuilt heads and replaced rear mains before but never really got into the lower part of a motor. What do I look for? Is this something i can do myself? Last year i pulled the wife 425 and replaced timing chain rear main seals and did the heads. I'm hoping to use this in my 70 if it dont need a ton of work. I gave the guy $475 for motor and trans and both have been rebuilt. Hoping i didnt screw myself. He gave me the reciepts for both and he had almost that in trans work. Any info would be great

I'd look at the bearings themselves. Pull the caps and look for scoring. If it did spin a bearing it will be obvious. You'll see carnage on the crank journal. It might have lost oil pressure.
    I'd look at the rod bearings also. Just make sure the caps all go back where they came from. Time for some forensic science.

Comment

Update on motor findings>>>>> The rear bearing took a crap. The crank itself has a nice score in it, its no longer smooth. So my ? is can i pull crank and put in a diffrent one with new bearings? Like i said motor has 8 miles on rebuild so everthing was completely new. Can i pull it apart and clean it up or do i have a huge paper weight? (Note to previous owner...Fresh motors need to be broke in before u try a burn out!!!!) I did take some pics of the firebird and its three tire stance. Passenger side tire is roughly 6" off the ground. Frame was totally screwed. i will try to get them on.

Comment

You might be able to go .010 under on the crank if it isn't too beat up. A stock size one would concievably go in also. Probably worth seeing if oil passages were cleaned and the oil pump is primed before restart. Sounds like a knucklehead caused it to grenade.

Comment

Working...
        X