starting issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starting issue

Well here is my issue. If my car (88 Buick LeSabre Superior with the Olds 307 V8) is sitting for more than 4 hours it wont start very easy. I turn the key and it will start to turn over, then stop, if I turn the key again, I usually don't even get the partial turn over. That info would lead me to believe it is a battery issue. However, if I turn the key and pump the gas lightly a bunch it always starts up, usually with a cloud of smoke from the exhaust. Now the car is an '88 with 76k miles on it, and the carburetor still has the factory seal on it. I think this may be where the problem lies, although I really have no idea. It could be the choke or the idle is set too low for all I know. Has anyone else had this issue? Or is just knowledgeable to know whats up.

Check the air in the tires - seriously, if the battery checks out ok (holds a charge), check the starter. Bad brushes will let it turn a couple times then act like a low battery and not turn over until cool. Pumping the gas just loads it up (dark smoke) and it will start quickly before the starter brushes overheat... until the starter goes completely.
    Just something to check

Comment

hrmmm, I'll check that, but the smoke it puts out is not dark.

Comment

more then likely the smoke your shooting out is just the excess gas your burning from pumping the pedal. when a carb gets flooded with gas and then you force it to start they will blow out a big puff of blueish , greyish smoke. Then it clears after a few minutes. Every one of mine will do it if it was a hard start after pumping the gas.

Comment

thats what I figured was up with the smoke, and from that I guessed that it was the carb that is the initial problem, do you think that it is? Or the starter like flyman said?

Comment

Well like Flyman said , i would start by having your battery tested. (auto zone will do it for free) If that is ok i would look into battery cables and terminals. easy to do yourself. just follow them from one side to another. If that dose not do it try the starter. I have herd of what he is talking about but i would follow this rout to the starter. Have your battery tested first.

Comment

I just popped the caps off the battery and the fluid levels were pretty low. i threw in some water (distilled) and am letting it sit for a bit. maybe that was the issue. the wires attached to the battery look pretty new and there is no buildup on the terminals. If filling the battery doesn't work I will explore the paths of the cables further.

Comment

OK, sounds like it could be the battery if the fluid was low. Don't just "leave it sit", put a good days charge on it. If more than 3 cells were 1/2 way down, every thing may work good for a couple days, but don't be surprised if it suddenly acts up again (bat could be fried by now). At least now you know what the problem is.

Comment

BTW, you didn't say how it ran once started... if fine, the carb wouldn't be the problem 'cept maybe for the choke.

Comment

She runs quite nice. I assume it could be the choke or the idle. Both were heavily tweaked in the process of passing California emissions testing. She often sounds like she is idling really low.

Comment

I just went out and started the car. It cranked and cranked, but wouldn't turn over. A quick two pumps of the gas and she fired up.

Comment

Unlike fuel inj., with a carbed engine you are gonna have to give the throttle a poke or two before turning the key (needed to set the choke)... THIS IS NORMAL (but you shouldn't need to pump the pi$$ out of it). I know mine, if I don't pump it it will turn over all day and never start - just one poke does it.
                        You started by saying the engine wouldn't turn over, now you're saying it wont start - knowing the carb was messed with now indicates a few adjustments may be in order. However, NOW that the car is turning over, I still think a new Battery may be needed in the near future.
                        Last edited by Flymanj3; 05-20-2011, 08:59 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X