Help identifying rear.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help identifying rear.

Hey guys, the other day I was lowering my 69 M&M and I noticed my pinion seal leaking. I want to replace the seal but I am not sure of my rear. I know standard cads had a 12 or 14 bolt but this rear looks like a Ford 9" style. I work at NAPA and we don't have a CC listing for the seal in the comp or the books. Any one have an idea how to get parts for it? By maybe looking up a heavy duty truck or something? What exactly is this rear? My buddy has a 70 Deville, and this rear dwarfs his.Any help is appreciated. Thanks guys!

Pictures would help. Maybe it's a dana? Is there a rear diff cover, or is it one piece?

Comment

pull the seal and check the stamping on the seal housing

Comment

Yea pyro, that's what I figured I would do. But I was still curious as to what the rear is. Spastic, it doesnt have a diff cover. It looks just like a Ford 9" center section. But it looks bigger even then a 9". Looks like a damn beefy rear. Ill post pics in a few minutes.

Comment

I know the pics are shit. I'm sorry. I slid home and snapped em real quick. If more detailed better pics are needed or will help, ill snap a few after work. Thanks again guys.

Comment

holy shit, thats a tall lowering block

Comment

Its a 3". It put it at a good ride height I think. I lowered it 3" rear and like 2 1/2" front, so its pretty much level now. I got pics up on the current projects. The "altitude adjustment" thread. Check it out

Comment

I'm a little suprised! All the wealth of knowledge on this site and no one kniws what these commercial chassis' came with? I figured this rear would be common place for like 68-72 commercial chassis or something...any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Comment

On a side note, what is the correct procedure for retorque on that pinion nut?
                  Some rear ends have crush sleves instead of shims. A person could change the pinion depth on accident.

Comment

Hi my name is HARRY i saw were you talking about a 51 cad. Flower car I have one I am looking for a car or parts for my car I am on facebook under Harry Browne, Hayward Ca. or E-Mail hblovecraft@sbcglobal.net or call 1 510 582 1940 I could some help thanks

Comment

I'm sorry that car has been purchased. There is a user on here named Atti that can get you whatevee you'd like, or put you in touch with the people that can.

Comment

Yes that would help me,let me know how to get a hold of him or he can leave me a E-Mail or a phone no. my E-Mail is hblovecraft@sbcglobal.net thank's

Comment

i have a 68 coach and it has the same rear. im not sure about napa but at advanced auto i was able to get the parts because they had a commercial car choice. same rear as the limos. it is a GM rear only made for the commercial cars. i have had people offer me more then i paid for my car just for the rear so i guess they are rare. I do know where a good rear is at along with a full front disc brake kit is pretty cheap if ever interested

Comment

Well that's good to know. Yea the guy who I bought the coach from bought the car soley for the rear for his 70 coupe de ville. But my car is leaf spring his had control arms so he said screw it. Thanks for the info. That's more than anyone else has been able to tell me. I work at napa and Commercial Chassis isn't listed untill like 71 or 72. Thanks again for the info man!

Comment

no problem smoothn low hey wanted to ask you how did you lower the front of your car i am playing with the idea of air ride but i dont want to destroy my car

Comment

Working...
                              X