Rear end gear ratio??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear end gear ratio??

Yeah, this pretty much sums it up about my feelings on trying to find out technical info on my superior, don't get me wrong, I love the damn car, probably never gonna scrap it!! Anyhoo, was wondering if anyone out there could please clue me in as to what (most likley) kind of rear differential is residing under my '71, just a fleetwood superior endloader, I can tell just by looks that it's pretty heavy duty, pease forgive the ignorance of my questions, this is the first commercial chassies that I've ever dealt with, and as I'm sure many of you out there have already figured out, info like this is hard to come by!!!
    Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!!

Don't quote me but I seem to remember it being like a 2.73 or something like that.

Comment

Is it a heavier duty axle, like a one ton? The reason is I'm tryin to figure out what cam to drop into the 472, and I'm trying to take into consideration the rear I have to push... I was thinkin something along the lines of the MTS# 10 stealth cam, with a set of their beefed up rockers n springs, whatchoo think?

Comment

I haven't checked mine, but the gear in the tranny for the speedometer is suppose to be a 3.15 for the comm chassis.

Comment

Simple.
          Draw a line with crayon that starts on the driveshaft and ends on the differential.
          Put a piece of tape on the sidewall of the rear tire at the top and a piece on the rear fender.

Have some one safely lay on thier side and count how many times the drive shaft spins around when the tire makes one complete revolution when moving the car forward.
          Again, be careful not to run over the person laying on the ground.

If its just under 3 turns for the driveshaft its 2.73:1
          Just over 3 would be 3.10:1
          3 and a 1/2 3.55:1
          etc etc.

Due to not having positraction, you can not do this while the car is on jackstands.

Comment

Working...
          X