Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In dash stereo install on an 81 Fleetwood - mounting kit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In dash stereo install on an 81 Fleetwood - mounting kit?

So glad to have the hearse running good, thanks to a proper tune up and rebuilt carb. Now I need to have something to listen to in this thing, as the factory radio is broken and the silence is killing me. I managed to remove the panel and the old radio (why the hell there are two hex screws behind the vents, I'll never know) and it's obvious to me that this dash will need to be cut and I will need some sort of special mounting kit.

I searched online but couldn't find anything for a 1981 Cadillac. Where can I buy a kit that will allow me to mount a single din head unit into the dash? Preferably one with a one inch spacer, so that I can get a flip-up screen for a navigation system (my band is taking this thing on tour).
    Last edited by Peyton; 07-18-2011, 03:03 AM.

What year hearse? My 69 has a factory radio delete panel, so I feel your pain. With no antenna, etc I'm just gonna mount a cd player under the dash or something.

Comment

Oh! Oops! it's a 1981 Cadillac Fleetwood/S&S.

Comment

Well my man, from everything I've found there is not a kit available for that car. You might try a universal kit that comes with a bunch of different pieces. Looks like your gonna have to get creative on this one I'm afraid.

Comment

you have to use the universal kit for chevys in that same year. and it will come with all the hardware to make it fit witout any mods to your dash. im a installer for bestbuy run into this alot with older caddys and chevys

Comment

Well if your an installer at best buy, I'm sure you know your stuff. Makes sense that a Chevy kit the same year would work. You think I could do the same with my 69 Caddy? Not sure the provision is wide enough for a cd player tho. I refuse to cut or modify the dash, so if not ill just mount it elsewhere.

Comment

the 69 is much like my 68 mine had the radio delete option i removed it did minor cutting to the bezel and put in a amplified antenna that hides behind the dash so i didnt have to run wire or drill holes in my fender. But if you refuse to cut your bezel, crutchfield sells a under the dash mounting kit that works well it hides all wires and gives it clean looking install

Comment

Sweet thanks for the tip. Not a bad Idea. I kinda dig no antenna and the radio delete panel so I wanna hide the cd player

Comment

You certainly do need to cut the dash. There is no way to fit a single din cd player through the hole of the old post mounted radio. I took my removed dash panel to a stereo installer who charged me $10 to cut the hole and then explained how best to mount the cd player. a kit may not actually be necessary, as the cd player came with a mounting bracket that he said will support the cd player just fine in the newly cut hole. In theory anyway. I'll post pictures when I finish, and be sure to take some in the process.

Comment

I mounted my stereo unit in the glove box because i didn't want to cut my dash, nor did i want it to be immediately obvious that i had a nice stereo in there. i got a unit with a remote, so it doesn't make it too much hassle, since i have the remote or just hook up my MP3 player.

Comment

Here's one for ya jesdmes, how does the radio delete panel come out? I'm been prying it to see what I'm workin with out of curiosity, but it doesn't wanna come. And I def don't wanna break it...any tricks or just keep prying? I don't see anything else holding it in...thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by SmoothNlow View Post
                        Here's one for ya jesdmes, how does the radio delete panel come out? I'm been prying it to see what I'm workin with out of curiosity, but it doesn't wanna come. And I def don't wanna break it!
                        Too late. Broke it. Oh well I figured out there were 2 bolts holding it. Oh well I went ahead and said screw it and cut the dash. No install kit. I like the position. Kinda clean. Shows you can put one in no prob with out install kit.

Ill try to get a better shot today

Comment

Working...
                        X