Dual exhaust installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual exhaust installation

I had TJs auto in Madison Heights say they can get both exhaust pipes to the back of the car. Today I went to a local exhaust place in Brighton because TJs was booked to have this done and they say it can't be done. My 1972 Caddy has the gas tank shifted more toward the drivers side than the passenger, so it makes it difficult to get a pipe thru there. But from what it sounded from TJs, it could be done if you bent the pipe in the right places. Anyone else have this issue? I don't think the pipe gets that hot because its after the muffler, but I could be wrong. Is this an explosive hazard to do this?

There's a good muffler shop in Madison Heights called Madison Muffler & Break Co. I lose part of a pipe on the freeway and grabbed it for them to match up. They ended up just replacing everything for a pretty good price.

30407 John R
    Madison Heights, MI 48071-2126
    (248) 588-5900 ‎

Comment

Yes, it's a tough job on these cars but you need to find a shop willing to take the time & extra effort to do it right. The gas tank area is especially tricky... the filler necks drop low and are tricky to go around, and as you said the tank is offset. The shop I use is awesome, the ambulance took them over 2 days to finish but it was worth it. The hearse was much easier for them to do, but it still got difficult from the rear end to the back bumper.
      The muffler shop is playing it safe. You know what you want but they have the liability on them if something were to happen as a result of a hot exhaust pipe melting something and it takes a creative pipe bender to get the job done!
      (wish i'd taken pictures when my coaches were on the rack)

Comment

I also think that with the offset of the tank it sets your tips out pretty far towards the corners. Not sure how aesthetically pleasing it would be. I had them dump mine at the rear end, i've also seen exits in front of the rear tires.

Comment

With the ambulance I wanted the exhaust dumping at the rear bumper on angles. Trying to help eliminate exhaust fumes and also just like the look...
          (pipes are even side-to-side, photo is a bad angle for exhaust sample)

Tony, do you get alot of engine roar in the car with the pipes dumping down @ the rear end? I've done several wagons that way & hated it, but maybe with a hearse it's not like that? The rear upholstery seems to absorb sound much more than the old station wagons.

Comment

some, but its tolerable. I did have a truck that I dumped the exhaust just past the cab with glasspacks....at 45mph it was almost a gutteral tone that made you want to crap.

Comment

why not have the pipes dump out together on one side.

Comment

Originally posted by tonytheskin View Post
                some, but its tolerable. I did have a truck that I dumped the exhaust just past the cab with glasspacks....at 45mph it was almost a gutteral tone that made you want to crap.
                LOL I bet that was an awful experience! Years ago I built a 1955 Chevy 210 two-door wagon, put a set of headers on it & ran a set of those "ground pounder" mufflers... the ones that were like Cherry Bombs on steroids... long with a 3" turndown at the end. Sounded cool from outside the car, but at 45mph the noise was unbearable. Sounded like a Blackhawk helicopter was going to land on the roof at any second

Comment

Originally posted by pyro View Post
                  why not have the pipes dump out together on one side.
                  For me, its because I love the powerful look of tailpipes coming out on each side. Just doesn't do it for me if you dump both pipes on one side. I'd consider shooting them out on the side before the rear wheels, but I plan on making them shoot flames, so I don't think that would work too well.

Comment

Working...
                  X