'68 M&M carrier bearing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '68 M&M carrier bearing

Got the driveshaft outta' the '68 pretty easily. The back shaft will have to be rebuilt/replaced due to the forklift crushing it as it was removed from the trailer.
    The carrier bearing is destroyed. Is this a commercial part or would a NAPA or industrial driveshaft place be able to replace it?

I bought a NAPA carrier bearing for my 69 Superior. I have not used it yet. I am hoping it will be ok. I put a standard master cylinder in her and had no problems at all.

Comment

I live in CA and can have a driveshaft built from scratch in UT and shipped for cheaper than anyone here can do it. The place is Tatton's Driveline. If you call ask for Curtis Hes the owner, Very easy to deal with and great prices.

Comment

capcake has a great idea. Great thought cupcake!!!!!!!!

Comment

This is what I'm dealin' with under the '68.....
          I assume this bracket was bolted to the crossmember to secure the carrier bearing?

Comment

More damage pics!

Comment

A napa bearing should work 71 to 76 is part number 6908-val. Check with them if it will also fit the 68. They told me it would.(they have been wrong on that stuff before ) Looks like you will also need the rubber piece. I think that's the carrier itself. If it is the same let me know. I have a 69, and that part siting on my shelf.

Comment

Sorry i missed this thread. Guess who works at NAPA and will check on this at 8am? This guy. BTW your gonna have to explain your coach being unloaded with a forklift. Im just kinda curious lol

Comment

Yup looks like the bearing let go at some point. A member in my club had the bearing go out on the freeway, the vibration got so bad before he could get it stopped that it actually broke the transmission case

Comment

The guy we bought it from saved it in the parking lot of the scrap yard.
                    I guess they had already unloaded it, which seems kinda' odd to me, by that time, the yard usually owns it.

Comment

Forklift damage to back section of driveshaft.

Comment

Originally posted by Tulsa Guy View Post
                        The guy we bought it from saved it in the parking lot of the scrap yard.
                        I guess they had already unloaded it, which seems kinda' odd to me, by that time, the yard usually owns it.
                        Hey man thats awesome! I actually saved mine from the crusher aswell. Thankfully they hadn't picked her up with a fork lift, but they had snatched the tank out.

But on to the carrier bearing. Mr X is correct. The part # 6908-VAL actually fits all CC from 1959-1975. Part # for 1946-1956 is BR88107 if anyone would be interested.. No idea why i have no info on 57-58. Strange. I can tell you tho Mr. X why they gave you a bearing for a 71. NAPA's computer doesn't list a CC untill 71. I found that out as soon as i got my coach. Gotta hit the books for pre-71 Cadillac, something alot of parts guys won't/can't(?) do lol. Hope this helps!

Comment

You guys kick ass!, I appreciate the help. NAPA is my auto parts source anyway, they hire minds, not faces it seems.
                          Whats the story on the rubber seal someone mentioned? I'm sure it's gotta' fit in between the bearing, and that exhaust bracket lookin' thing......
                          yeah, it was saved right in the crusher parking lot.....had a key in it and everything! Windshield looks like it caught a bowling ball thrown off a overpass though.
                          New fuel pump last week and it was runnin'!

Comment

Originally posted by Tulsa Guy View Post
                            You guys kick ass!, I appreciate the help. NAPA is my auto parts source anyway, they hire minds, not faces it seems.
                            Whats the story on the rubber seal someone mentioned? I'm sure it's gotta' fit in between the bearing, and that exhaust bracket lookin' thing......
                            yeah, it was saved right in the crusher parking lot.....had a key in it and everything! Windshield looks like it caught a bowling ball thrown off a overpass though.
                            New fuel pump last week and it was runnin'!
                            Man thats so awesome! Did i miss pics of the entire coach? Did you post any? i'd love to see em. 67-68 is with out a doubt my favorite year coach. Ive often pondered grafting a 68 front clip to my 69. Love the stacked headlights.

I'll have to do some more digging on the rest of the carrier assembly...

Comment

Originally posted by SmoothNlow View Post
                              No idea why i have no info on 57-58. Strange.
                              I'd venture it is because they do not have carrier bearings. At least I did not notice such an animal underneath mine and I found a drawing of the chassis for advertising literature in 58 supports the conclusion as well:

Comment

Working...
                              X