No announcement yet.

'68 M&M carrier bearing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'58 equals X frame for the GM cars.....the '58 Chevys have them in the center of the X.
    I believe my '57 M&M combo has an X frame, but haven't been under it yet......

Comment

Photo history of the '68 M&M......
      The 68 Cadillac, hauled home with a wrecker & pushed inside with a Hoosier dirt tire, has been indoors since November of '05. Today's the first time we got to hear it run (Thanks Jason!) and drive it out of the building into the sunshine.

Comment

Originally posted by Tulsa Guy View Post
        '58 equals X frame for the GM cars.....the '58 Chevys have them in the center of the X.
        I believe my '57 M&M combo has an X frame, but haven't been under it yet......
        For what it's worth, my 57 Deville has an X-frame very similar to my Eureka though the center section isn't as long from what I can tell. I haven't done any work to the 57 though so I can't speak to any specific chassis configuration it may or may not have regarding the driveshaft. When I'm under the 58 tonight dealing with the brakes I'll make a point to get some pictures of the drive line.

Comment

My 64 has the X frame and the carrier bearing is up in the middle of the long tube. It cannot be seen and is held in by 2 bolts in the floor of the tube. Going to be fun trying to put it back and trying to line up the holes with the bearing inside.

Comment

Originally posted by Dickey View Post
            I'd venture it is because they do not have carrier bearings. At least I did not notice such an animal underneath mine and I found a drawing of the chassis for advertising literature in 58 supports the conclusion as well:

but they have a 2 piece drive shaft. they have to have a carrier bearing right?

Comment

They do but I didn't know that they had a two piece drive shaft until this evening. I had assumed it was just the one given what I could see. The wheelbase of the eureka is almost the same as the length of my lift ramps so I'm not able to pick the car up as I'm used to. I got some pictures while I was tinkering though. Exactly as Tulsa Guy said and what Travlinman described. Two bolts up through the bottom and the joint is nearly a foot up into the center of the frame tube from the rear.

Comment

I've been up to my elbow trying to stab the anchor bolts on my '58 Chevy way too many times!
                Those '58-'64 X frame cars are a real pain in the ass to use a lift on.

Comment

Diggin' this one back up, I'm fixin' to order the NAPA carrier bearing, but still need info on the big rubber seal that appears to encase the bearing on the one I pulled out......
                  Anyone ever replace one of those?, Is it a commercial chassis part,, or would the passenger cars have 'em too?
                  Where would I turn up that part?

Comment

Never looked into that. I think the rubber thing is called the carrier itself. Ask the guys at the store if they have it. You might get lucky.

Comment

The '68 carrier bearing came in!
                      Thanks to SmoothnLow for the tip, and NAPA for still stocking the old stuff.

Still searching for info on the rubber bushing, not included with the bearing......
                      Anybody got a photo of what a one of these mounted up properly looks like?

Comment

Working...
                      X