84 Fleetwood Superior cut off gremlin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 84 Fleetwood Superior cut off gremlin

I noticed a few months ago after getting many issues resolved that sometimes Id hear a split second hesitation in the motor. Its the 6.0 carbed motor. I didn't think much of it since my plan is to dump the computer with the electronic carb and distributor, or atleast I'm guessing its some type of computer. I finally got the exhaust done on the car and have been enjoying driving it more now. 2 days ago I took it about 4 blocks away. I always let it warm up. I got to the area we were doing some parkin lot layouts for the upcoming world of wheels and the car cut off. Its done this a few times in the past few weeks and it always restarted instantly. I'm not noticing any pattern.

Last night I was messing with some things for the show in the car and decided to hear the exhaust. I started it and just as it was starting to get to the point of being warm, it shut off. It always seems to be like a sudden power loss. This time it wouldn't restart. When I would turn the key to the start position it would attempt to start but when let go to the run position it would immediately kill.

Thinking it might be something in the hei I ran thru a series of tests from what I remember doing and came up with it might be the module. I changed the module today and it still did the same thing. I found a spare hei I had and swapped out the coil, still it did the same thing. Finally I decided to check wirining in general. I found the ground from the chassis to motor broken, so I ran a new one. I also inspected all wiring looking for something broken or possibly melted etc.. still nothing and the car still did the same crap. To the point of giving up. I sprayed the battery connection on the distributor with some wd40 just trying to clean the connection. I also rehooked up the battery tender to the battery.

I went inside and decided to search the internet looking for any clue as to what could be wrong. I found a few things and went back out, I checked the carb and manually opened the primary butter fly got in and it fired right up. WTF!!!!

I have a bit of a long road with this car and have changed

all plugs- ac delco
    distributor cap and rotor-msd
    wires- ac delco
    alternator- delco rebuild
    carb rebuild
    new fuel pump- carter
    fuel filter
    removed gas tank cleaned and unstopped pickup screen
    replaced ignition module in hei
    I also just last weekend found a 80 fleetwood in the bone yard and pulled the computer, it works since I tried it on the car thinking my problem was that, but it still did it.

I did buy a mid 70s hei and will dump the current computer, distributor, and carb. still need to pick a carb.

Not sure if maybe the connection to power distributor could have been not making contact or if carb is acting up. I did put some electrical contact grease on it just a few minutes ago. I'm really lost as to if my problem is solved or what. Kinda of relieved that its nothing major with the motor internals. Any of you see this before?

I guess this problem is a snowball effect. What started out the be loose torx bolts inside the column eventually led to the entire column needing tweaking. The ignition switch was out of adjustment since the loose bolts inside caused everything to expand making the rod that connects from the switch to the key switch to be not long enough. no the rod didn't need to be longer, its just that everything else was now now longer with excessive space. The ign switch was also bad as well as the key switch was worn out. The column needing to have every bolt inside retorqued didn't help those parts wear well. So for now it seems like the gremlin is gone.

Comment

YEA!

Comment

Working...
      X